all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* customizing input method
@ 2006-04-28 15:23 Robert Pontisso
From: Robert Pontisso @ 2006-04-28 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I'm regularly using characters from both the French
and the Italian alphabets (e.g. "c+," and "i+`") is
there an alternative to continually toggling back and
forth between the languages?  Is it possible to define
a new language or input method that would incorporate
existing postfix input methods from existing
languages?  It's rather cumbersome to have to toggle
for just one or two frequently-occurring characters.

Thanks

24 FIFA World Cup tickets to be won with Yahoo! Mail http://uk.mail.yahoo.com

* Re: customizing input method
@ 2006-04-28 15:32 ` Michaël Cadilhac
       [not found] ` <mailman.1086.1146239430.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2006-04-28 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Pontisso <rpontisso@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> If I'm regularly using characters from both the French
> and the Italian alphabets (e.g. "c+," and "i+`") is
> there an alternative to continually toggling back and
> forth between the languages?  Is it possible to define
> a new language or input method that would incorporate
> existing postfix input methods from existing
> languages?  It's rather cumbersome to have to toggle
> for just one or two frequently-occurring characters.

  If I understand clearly, you use the input methods

  You could use « latin-1-postfix » that should have ç and ì.

  Regards,

--
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac   |   Mieux vaut se taire                  |
 |         Epita/LRDE Promo 2007   |    Que de parler trop fort.            |

* Re: customizing input method
@ 2006-04-28 15:50 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.1086.1146239430.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-04-28 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.04.2006 um 17:23 schrieb Robert Pontisso:

> If I'm regularly using characters from both the French
> and the Italian alphabets (e.g. "c+," and "i+`") is
> there an alternative to continually toggling back and
> forth between the languages?

Why can't you make your keyboard produce these characters? My
keyboard has dead-keys for cedilla and accents, so I can compose
these characters with the keyboard directly, no Emacs action necessary.

When you have X11 running you can define two new levels of key
symbols, those when you press alt or alt and shift together. The
programme to change this is xmodmap, xmodmap -pk will show the recent
settings.

--
Greetings

   Pete

fools.

* Re: customizing input method
@ 2006-04-28 16:06   ` Gulliver7
From: Gulliver7 @ 2006-04-28 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 28.04.2006 um 17:23 schrieb Robert Pontisso:
>
>> If I'm regularly using characters from both the French
>> and the Italian alphabets (e.g. "c+," and "i+`") is
>> there an alternative to continually toggling back and
>> forth between the languages?
>
> Why can't you make your keyboard produce these characters? My
> keyboard has dead-keys for cedilla and accents, so I can compose
> these characters with the keyboard directly, no Emacs action necessary.

I can use the compose key on my Sun keyboard, but that's three keystrokes as
opposed to the two required by the postfix method (and the extra key is in a
place my fingers find particularly awkward).
Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com.

* Re: customizing input method
@ 2006-04-28 16:45   ` Gulliver7
From: Gulliver7 @ 2006-04-28 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michaël Cadilhac-5 wrote:

>   If I understand clearly, you use the input methods
>
>   You could use « latin-1-postfix » that should have ç and ì.

Perfect -- thank you!

@ 2006-04-28 18:30   ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2006-04-28 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

+ Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>:

| When you have X11 running you can define two new levels of key
| symbols, those when you press alt or alt and shift together. The
| programme to change this is xmodmap, xmodmap -pk will show the recent
| settings.

Except that these days, xkb often seems to get in the way in hard to
understand ways.

But this may not be the right newsgroup to discuss those issues.

There are many reasons other than the OP's for wishing to modify input
methods of course, or even creating your own.  If you want to write
mathematics using a wide range of Unicode symbols, that is one such
reason.  So how hard is it, really, to create your own input method?

  -- Bertrand Russell