all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired problem
@ 2007-11-04 16:42 Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2007-11-04 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm trying to use dired to delete some files.  I mark them in the
dired buffer using % d and supply the regex.  The files are marked by
D.  I type 'x' and am asked to confirm deletion, which I do.  However,
the files (which have -rwxrwxrwx permissions and are owned by by
username) are not deleted.  Instead in the message buffer I see this:

(file-error Removing old name permission denied )

Can someone point out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Roger

* Re: dired problem
       [not found] <mailman.2966.1194194557.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-04 16:54 ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2007-11-04 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

+ Roger Mason <rmason@esd.mun.ca>:

> I'm trying to use dired to delete some files.  I mark them in the
> dired buffer using % d and supply the regex.  The files are marked by
> D.  I type 'x' and am asked to confirm deletion, which I do.  However,
> the files (which have -rwxrwxrwx permissions and are owned by by
> username) are not deleted.  Instead in the message buffer I see this:
>
> (file-error Removing old name permission denied )
>
> Can someone point out what I'm doing wrong?

You need write permission on the directory.

  -- Bertrand Russell