all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs on Mac, convert right-option to right-control
@ 2009-09-29 16:28 July
       [not found] ` <mailman.7695.1254243383.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: July @ 2009-09-29 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello everybody,

I am using MacBookPro 15'', which doesnot have a right control key. So I
am planning to convert the right option key to right control key, and
keep the left option key.  (for your information, I have made a global
key switch between caps-lock and left-control)

Any idea? Thanks a lot

* Re: Emacs on Mac, convert right-option to right-control
@ 2009-09-29 16:56 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.7695.1254243383.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-09-29 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: July; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.09.2009 um 18:28 schrieb July:

> Any idea?

No. But which variant of GNU Emacs are you using? The X client? Or
one of the Aqua/Quartz clients? Well, the version of GNU Emacs might
also be of interest...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Theory and practice are the same, in theory, but, in practice, they
are different.

@ 2009-09-29 17:12   ` July
       [not found]     ` <mailman.7704.1254250129.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: July @ 2009-09-29 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you for your attention.

Carbon Emacs.

* Re: Emacs on Mac, convert right-option to right-control
@ 2009-09-29 18:48     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.7704.1254250129.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-09-29 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: July; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.09.2009 um 19:12 schrieb July:

> Carbon Emacs.

No chance (I think). Mac OS X cannot distinguish between the left and
the right command key (⌘). The same is probably also true for the
option (⌥) or the control key (^), but I don't have such a keyboard
available. Peter Maurer wrote "Key Codes," http://www.petermaurer.de/
nasi.php?section=keycodes, which may help you to check the key codes.

--
Greetings

   Pete
Klingons do not believe in indentation - except perhaps in the skulls
of their project managers.

@ 2009-09-29 19:00       ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2009-09-29 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

+ Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>:

> No chance (I think). Mac OS X cannot distinguish between the left and
> the right command key (⌘). The same is probably also true for the
> option (⌥) or the control key (^), but I don't have such a keyboard
> available. Peter Maurer wrote "Key Codes," http://www.petermaurer.de/
> nasi.php?section=keycodes, which may help you to check the key codes.

The newer macbooks certainly can distinguish: Right option shows
modifiers 0x80140, left option 0x80120. And right command shows up as
0x100108, left command 0x100110.

(Why haven't I found this useful app before? It's not as if I haven't
looked. Maybe my google-fu is too weak. Thanks for the pointer.
Actually, the app is found at http://www.manytricks.com/keycodes/ BTW.)

  -- Bertrand Russell

* Re: Emacs on Mac, convert right-option to right-control
@ 2009-09-30  8:37       ` Giovanni Lanzani
From: Giovanni Lanzani @ 2009-09-30  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: ulissesroc

> Am 29.09.2009 um 19:12 schrieb July:
>
>> Carbon Emacs.
>
> No chance (I think). Mac OS X cannot distinguish between the
> left and  the right command key (⌘). The same is probably
> also true for the  option (⌥) or the control key (^), but I
> don't have such a keyboard  available. Peter Maurer wrote
> "Key Codes," http://www.petermaurer.de/
> nasi.php?section=keycodes, which may help you to check the
> key codes.

If Mac Os X can distinguish between them, it may also be an idea to
create a modify keyboard layout with the help of ukelele
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ukelele
and turn it on whenever you use Emacs.

Good luck,

Giovanni