all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4) :
       [not found] <E18oBMx-0006TS-00@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-02-27  2:14 ` Guillaume Lessard
From: Guillaume Lessard @ 2003-02-27  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 02:32  AM, Steven Tamm wrote:

> <excerpt>The binary distributions of GNU Emacs on versiontracker are
> woefully out of date.  I had an email conversation with the guy who
> posted the "Enhanced Version" and we sort of agreed to disagree.  In
> any case, the version you have is almost 3 months old and many, many
> bugs have been fixed. =20

[snip]

> The bigger question is what to do about the binary distributions of
> 21.3 that are floating around with bugs that people report.

How about making them obsolete?

Here's the real problem: there's a major unix platform out there that is
not supported by any "released" version of Emacs. Its name is "Mac OS X".

The only reason I considered (and did) get on emacs's CVS repository is
that it was at the time the only way to actually *get* a functional
(windowed) emacs on OS X.

At this point, it works pretty well. The problems I encounter in external
packages seem to be related to changes in the lisp code between 21.3 and
21.4; fixing that most likely requires a release. (Example: JDEE became
broken on Carbon Emacs during the past 3 months; it worked fine before).

How long until 21.4 is released?

--
Guillaume Lessard
glessard@its.caltech.edu

* Re: Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4) :
@ 2003-02-27  9:17   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2003-02-27  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:14:19 -0800, Guillaume Lessard <glessard@its.caltech.edu> wrote:

> How long until 21.4 is released?

On 2002/09/27, RMS said: "21.4 is likely to be many months away."

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2002-09/msg00973.html.

21.2 it's been out for a year (well, its first birthday is in two weeks).
21.3 is in pretest since 2002/05/25 or so. It seems like it could hit
the streets Any Time Now. OTOH, that's been true for several months :)

There was a discussion about releases, etc. in November:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2002-11/msg00090.html

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4)
@ 2003-03-05  3:16 Antoine Gautier
From: Antoine Gautier @ 2003-03-05  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Enrico Franconi

Merci / thanks /Gracie to all who responded to my earlier message.

I finally managed to D'load the CVS emacs and try to compile using E.
Franconi's INSTALL instructions, but failed in the early stages of
'make'. The problem could be on my side, my version of apple's
dev-tools is not the very latest.

I will keep trying and report if/when progress occurs (!).

Regards,

Antoine Gautier

Faculté des Sciences de l'administration
Université Laval
internet : http://www.fsa.ulaval.ca/personnel/gautiera/
courriel : antoine.gautier@fsa.ulaval.ca

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 650 bytes --]

@ 2003-03-05  9:17 ` Hans-Peter Binder
From: Hans-Peter Binder @ 2003-03-05  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

* Antoine Gautier <Antoine.Gautier@fsa.ulaval.ca> writes:
> Merci / thanks /Gracie to all who responded to my earlier message.
>
> I finally managed to D'load the CVS emacs and try to compile using E.
> Franconi's INSTALL instructions, but failed in the early stages of
> 'make'. The problem could be on my side, my version of apple's
> dev-tools is not the very latest.

Do you have said 'make bootstrap' ;-)

Regards/Gruesse
Hans-Peter Binder
--
(coffee-mode -1)

* Re: Enhanced Carbon Emacs (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4)
@ 2003-03-05 14:30   ` Antoine Gautier
From: Antoine Gautier @ 2003-03-05 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Yes, 'make bootstrap' fails as it begins to 'make'.

Regards,

Antoine