all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Multiple Size faces in one document
@ 2003-02-03 21:17 Thomas S. Atkins
From: Thomas S. Atkins @ 2003-02-03 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

	All,

I am trying to do the above in Emacs version 21.2.1 and I can not find the
information in the manual. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help.

Tom Atkins

* Re: Multiple Size faces in one document
@ 2003-02-04  6:33 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-04  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Thomas S. Atkins" <tatkins@aug.com> writes:

> I am trying to do the above in Emacs version 21.2.1 and I can not find the
> information in the manual. Is this possible?

Type C-h i and look at any info file with headings.  You'll see that
the headings are in a larger font.  So it is possible.

I wonder whether enriched-mode helps.

Also try M-g.
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: Multiple Size faces in one document
@ 2003-02-04  7:30 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2003-02-04  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Thomas> 	All,

 Thomas> I am trying to do the above in Emacs version 21.2.1 and I can
 Thomas> not find the information in the manual. Is this possible?

 Thomas> Thanks for your help.

 Thomas> Tom Atkins

I'm pretty sure it possible - if you look at info you will see it uses
faces of different sizes and even families.

I'm not sure how you can do this interactively though. I guess you
could try defining a new face type and assign it a font of a different
size/colour/attribute/whatever and then include that face where you
want the different sized font. Also, check out the documentation for
fontmenu.

Tim
--
Tim Cross

* Re: Multiple Size faces in one document
@ 2003-02-04 13:58 ` Eric Marsden
From: Eric Marsden @ 2003-02-04 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

  tsa> I am trying to do the above in Emacs version 21.2.1 and I can
  tsa> not find the information in the manual. Is this possible?

since v21, the display engine in Emacs is able to display different
font sizes. However, only a few elisp libraries have been updated to
take advantage of this functionality. Luckily it's pretty easy to add
support to enriched-mode.

Try loading the following code and using enriched-mode. This adds
basic support for the <bigger> and <smaller> tags in the text/enriched
format (RFC1896). To make text in the region larger, use "M-g +"; to
make it smaller, use "M-g -".

This code doesn't handle nested sizing tags correctly; stuff like

is handled like <bigger>foo</bigger>.

(require 'enriched)

(let ((display-translations (assq 'display enriched-translations)))
  (setcdr display-translations
          '(((height (+ 2)) "bigger")
            ((height (- 2)) "smaller")
            (nil enriched-handle-display-prop))))

(put 'display 'format-list-valued nil)

(defun facemenu-set-bigger (start end)
  (interactive "r")
  (add-text-properties start end '(display (height (+ 2)))))

(defun facemenu-set-smaller (start end)
  (interactive "r")
  (add-text-properties start end '(display (height (- 2)))))

(define-key facemenu-keymap [?+] 'facemenu-set-bigger)
(define-key facemenu-keymap [?-] 'facemenu-set-smaller)

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>

* Re: Multiple Size faces in one document
@ 2003-02-04 17:08   ` Thomas S. Atkins
From: Thomas S. Atkins @ 2003-02-04 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 14:58:31 +0100, Eric Marsden wrote:

> Try loading the following code and using enriched-mode. This adds
> basic support for the <bigger> and <smaller> tags in the text/enriched
> format (RFC1896). To make text in the region larger, use "M-g +"; to
> make it smaller, use "M-g -".
>
> This code doesn't handle nested sizing tags correctly; stuff like

> is handled like <bigger>foo</bigger>.
>

> (require 'enriched)
>
> (let ((display-translations (assq 'display enriched-translations)))
>   (setcdr display-translations
>           '(((height (+ 2)) "bigger")
>             ((height (- 2)) "smaller")
>             (nil enriched-handle-display-prop))))
>
> (put 'display 'format-list-valued nil)
>
> (defun facemenu-set-bigger (start end)
>   (interactive "r")
>   (add-text-properties start end '(display (height (+ 2)))))
>
> (defun facemenu-set-smaller (start end)
>   (interactive "r")
>   (add-text-properties start end '(display (height (- 2)))))
>
> (define-key facemenu-keymap [?+] 'facemenu-set-bigger)
> (define-key facemenu-keymap [?-] 'facemenu-set-smaller)
Thanks I will give this a try

* Re: Multiple Size faces in one document
@ 2003-02-04 17:09   ` Thomas S. Atkins
From: Thomas S. Atkins @ 2003-02-04 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 07:33:00 +0100, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> "Thomas S. Atkins" <tatkins@aug.com> writes:
>
>> I am trying to do the above in Emacs version 21.2.1 and I can not find the
>> information in the manual. Is this possible?
>
> Type C-h i and look at any info file with headings.  You'll see that
> the headings are in a larger font.  So it is possible.
>
> I wonder whether enriched-mode helps.
>
> Also try M-g.
I am using Enriched mode. I will keep trying