all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Ctrl-c { behaviour changed in tex mode]
@ 2017-04-04 10:35 hector
From: hector @ 2017-04-04 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 11:07:33PM +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> In tex mode Ctrl-c { used to put a pair of {} around the cursor, making
> it ready to write in between the braces.
>
> After a recent update, Ctrl-c { still introduces a pair of {} but if
> inside that I do another Ctrl-c { then it introduces a newline too, like
> this:
>
> \sqrt{\hat{}
>   }
>
> i.e. the outer most closing brace goes on to the next line. That's very
> annoying. Where do I customize Ctrl-c back to how it used to be?

I don't know because I'm using an old version. The great thing about Emacs
is that if you can't customize it using variables, you can always go to
the source.

Since my version is old I'm just guessing.

I see that it runs the command tex-insert-braces. Try that command
with M-x tex-insert-braces in case the binding has been changed.

You can see the definition with "C-hf" (describe-function) and visit
the source.

* Re: Ctrl-c { behaviour changed in tex mode]
@ 2017-04-04 13:34 ` Amadeus W.M.
From: Amadeus W.M. @ 2017-04-04 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 12:35:58 +0200, hector wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 11:07:33PM +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
>> In tex mode Ctrl-c { used to put a pair of {} around the cursor, making
>> it ready to write in between the braces.
>>
>> After a recent update, Ctrl-c { still introduces a pair of {} but if
>> inside that I do another Ctrl-c { then it introduces a newline too,
>> like this:
>>
>> \sqrt{\hat{}
>>   }
>>
>> i.e. the outer most closing brace goes on to the next line. That's very
>> annoying. Where do I customize Ctrl-c back to how it used to be?
>
> I don't know because I'm using an old version. The great thing about
> Emacs is that if you can't customize it using variables, you can always
> go to the source.
>
> Since my version is old I'm just guessing.
>
> I see that it runs the command tex-insert-braces. Try that command with
> M-x tex-insert-braces in case the binding has been changed.
>
> You can see the definition with "C-hf" (describe-function) and visit the
> source.

Thanks, that's a good start. I looked at the tex-insert-braces definition
in tex-mode.el and this is all I've found:

(define-skeleton tex-insert-braces
  "Make a pair of braces and be poised to type inside of them."
  nil
  ?\{ _ ?})

I don't know lisp so that's very cryptic for me. I don't know what might
trigger it to insert a new line when doing nested C-c {

* Re: Ctrl-c { behaviour changed in tex mode]
@ 2017-04-04 14:56   ` B.V. Raghav
From: B.V. Raghav @ 2017-04-04 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amadeus W.M.; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Amadeus W.M." <amadeus84@verizon.net> writes:

> I don't know what might
> trigger it to insert a new line when doing nested C-c {

I tried `C-h w' and typed in `tex-insert-braces' on prompt and the
message line says `tex-insert-braces is not on any key' --- That might
be just because of some of my customization (or lack of it thereof).

You may try on your system.

Btw, `C-h k C-h w' says

> C-h w runs the command where-is (found in global-map), which is an
> interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘help.el’.

> It is bound to C-h w, <f1> w, <help> w.

> (where-is DEFINITION &optional INSERT)

> Print message listing key sequences that invoke the command DEFINITION.
> Argument is a command definition, usually a symbol with a function definition.
> If INSERT (the prefix arg) is non-nil, insert the message in the buffer.

Hope that helps,
(B.V. Raghav)