all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Eshell help.
@ 2003-10-01  8:26 Steven Wu
From: Steven Wu @ 2003-10-01  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I looked into eshell, and felt that I really like it. Unfortunately, I
wasn't able to find much documentation about it. Here is a question that
I found: if I redefine eshell-prompt-function to something I like, i.e.
no pathname, then completetion doesn't work. I kinda like to have the
pathname printed on the window title bar, not at the prompt. Also, if I
want to do shell programming, where can I find the elisp primitives?

thanks.
steve

* Re: Eshell help.
@ 2003-10-01 17:50 ` Dan Anderson
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1051.1065166758.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.950.1065031212.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-10-01 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Although I am in no way qualified to answer your LISP quesions, if you
want a fully functional shell try: M-x term

-Dan

* Re: Eshell help.
       [not found] ` <mailman.950.1065031212.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-10-01 19:25   ` FRC
From: FRC @ 2003-10-01 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eshell is worth investigating. U'll have to browse the source, but it's less
of a pain than u probably think.

"Dan Anderson" <dan@mathjunkies.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Although I am in no way qualified to answer your LISP quesions, if you
> want a fully functional shell try: M-x term
>
> -Dan

* Re: Eshell help.
@ 2003-10-03  7:38   ` Vincenzo Di Somma
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1051.1065166758.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Vincenzo Di Somma @ 2003-10-03  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I followed your suggestion and tryied to use M-x term, I had my shell
working quit soon but, just after ther first 'ls' command emacs crashed
immedialty, blocked without any life sign :)
What`s wrong ?
(emacs 21 on debian testing i386)
Thansk,
   Vincenzo

Dan Anderson wrote:
> Although I am in no way qualified to answer your LISP quesions, if you
> want a fully functional shell try: M-x term
>
> -Dan

* Re: Eshell help.
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1051.1065166758.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-10-03  8:51     ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2003-10-03  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vincenzo Di Somma <enzo@reflab.it> writes:

> I followed your suggestion and tryied to use M-x term, I had my shell
> working quit soon but,

Do you have to do anything special, apart from just typing M-x term
RET and then confirming Emacs suggestion of /bin/bash with RET?

> just after ther first 'ls' command emacs crashed immedialty, blocked
> without any life sign :) What`s wrong ?

Does Emacs really crash or does term just slurp all your keyboard
input?  Does C-c C-c do anything?  What if you have one Emacs with two
frames and you run term in one frame; does the other frame still
function?

> (emacs 21 on debian testing i386)

Which Emacs is that.  Tip: type C-u C-x C-e after the closing
parenthesis of (emacs-version).

  Lute.

--
(spook) => "Etacs investigation Sundevil"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")

* Re: Eshell help.
       [not found] ` <mailman.950.1065031212.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-10-03  8:55 ` Matt Hodges
From: Matt Hodges @ 2003-10-03  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > I looked into eshell, and felt that I really like it.
 > Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find much documentation about it.
 > Here is a question that I found: if I redefine
 > eshell-prompt-function to something I like, i.e. no pathname, then
 > completetion doesn't work. I kinda like to have the pathname
 > printed on the window title bar, not at the prompt.

You need to change eshell-prompt-regexp as well. For example:

     (setq eshell-prompt-function (lambda ()
                                    (if (= (user-uid) 0) "# " "$ "))
           eshell-prompt-regexp "^[$#] ")

(You may have to restart Eshell after making this change.)

Matt

* Re: Eshell help.
@ 2003-10-03  9:20       ` Vincenzo Di Somma
From: Vincenzo Di Somma @ 2003-10-03  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lute Kamstra wrote:
> Vincenzo Di Somma <enzo@reflab.it> writes:
>

>>I followed your suggestion and tryied to use M-x term, I had my shell
>>working quit soon but,
>

> Do you have to do anything special, apart from just typing M-x term
> RET and then confirming Emacs suggestion of /bin/bash with RET?

no

>>just after ther first 'ls' command emacs crashed immedialty, blocked
>>without any life sign :) What`s wrong ?
>

> Does Emacs really crash or does term just slurp all your keyboard
> input?  Does C-c C-c do anything?  What if you have one Emacs with two
> frames and you run term in one frame; does the other frame still
> function?

Nothing, I can`t do anything and the frames don`t even refresh,
completly blocked.

>>(emacs 21 on debian testing i386)
>

> Which Emacs is that.  Tip: type C-u C-x C-e after the closing
> parenthesis of (emacs-version).

"GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-debian-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
  of 2002-03-22 on raven, modified by Debian"

Vincenzo.

* Re: Eshell help.
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1051.1065166758.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-10-03 10:28     ` punkind
From: punkind @ 2003-10-03 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003, Vincenzo Di Somma wrote:

> Dan Anderson wrote:
>> Although I am in no way qualified to answer your LISP quesions, if you
>> want a fully functional shell try: M-x term
>> -Dan

[...]

> I followed your suggestion and tryied to use M-x term, I had my shell
> working quit soon but, just after ther first 'ls' command emacs crashed
> immedialty, blocked without any life sign :)
> What`s wrong ?
> (emacs 21 on debian testing i386)

same happens here, (emacs-version) "GNU Emacs 21.2.1
(i386-debian-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2002-03-22 on
raven, modified by Debian"

*complete crash*

i'd rather use Eshell though. i'll append the problems i found here:

  - when using unrecognized command options, isn't it supposed to call an
    external shell (say /bin/bash)? i'm getting:

    ~ $ ls -l
    total 35135
    usage: eshell/ls: (&rest ARGS)
    ~ $

  - sometimes, i open a shell in a message buffer, do some operation and
    close it by killing the process, going back to message-mode. couldn't
    find the way to do the same with Eshell.

tia

--
ti tocca tutto quello che ti e` toccato gia`- s'illuminano gli occhi

* Re: Eshell help.
@ 2003-10-03 14:40   ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-10-03 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does 'C-x BACKSPACE' (backward-kill-sentence), work for anyone else in
eshell?  It works for me in 'M-x shell' (where shell is cygwin bash).
In eshell I get:

byte-code: Text is read-only: #<buffer *eshell*>

I'm using the default prompt with the current (last week's) build of
cvs.

* Re: Eshell help.
@ 2003-10-03 22:58       ` Sean Richards
From: Sean Richards @ 2003-10-03 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

punkind <intimisto@nihil.non> writes:

> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003, Vincenzo Di Somma wrote:
>
>> I followed your suggestion and tryied to use M-x term, I had my shell
>> working quit soon but, just after ther first 'ls' command emacs crashed
>> immedialty, blocked without any life sign :)
>> What`s wrong ?
>> (emacs 21 on debian testing i386)
>
> same happens here, (emacs-version) "GNU Emacs 21.2.1
> (i386-debian-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2002-03-22 on
> raven, modified by Debian"
>
> *complete crash*

This problem appears to be been fixed in 21.3.1. I had the same
experience with M-x term on 21.2.1 and after moving to 21.3.1 have not
had this problem appear.

Sean

--
"Hver sin smak", sa vintapperen, han drakk mens de andre sloss.

* Re: Eshell help.
@ 2003-10-04  8:45     ` Matt Hodges
From: Matt Hodges @ 2003-10-04  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > Does 'C-x BACKSPACE' (backward-kill-sentence), work for anyone else
 > in eshell? It works for me in 'M-x shell' (where shell is cygwin
 > bash). In eshell I get:

 > byte-code: Text is read-only: #<buffer *eshell*>

There is eshell-kill-input (bound to C-c C-u by default) to kill all
input after the prompt.

Matt

* Re: Eshell help.
@ 2003-10-05  8:38   ` Steven Wu
From: Steven Wu @ 2003-10-05  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Hodges wrote:

>  > I looked into eshell, and felt that I really like it.
>  > Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find much documentation about it.
>  > Here is a question that I found: if I redefine
>  > eshell-prompt-function to something I like, i.e. no pathname, then
>  > completetion doesn't work. I kinda like to have the pathname
>  > printed on the window title bar, not at the prompt.
>
> You need to change eshell-prompt-regexp as well. For example:
>
>      (setq eshell-prompt-function (lambda ()
>                                     (if (= (user-uid) 0) "# " "$ "))
>            eshell-prompt-regexp "^[$#] ")

Thanks. Last time when I changed the prompt-regexp and prompt-function
seperately, and that's why it didn't work. I just tried it, and it
worked fine.

steve