all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Minor typo in seq-let info docs
@ 2015-08-29 15:27 raman
From: raman @ 2015-08-29 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

This sentence re seq-let is hard to parse -- suspect an extra "in":

<cite>
-- Macro: seq-let arguments sequence body…
     This macro binds the variables in defined in the sequence ARGUMENTS
     to the elements of the sequence SEQUENCE.  ARGUMENTS can itself
     include sequences allowing for nested destructuring.

--

</cite>

In addition, the somewhat self-referential nature of the opening
sentence makes it confusing reading. That I am listening to it likely
makes it harder -- adding some quoting in addition to case changes
would make it easier reading.

<rewrite>
-- Macro: seq-let arguments sequence body…
     This macro binds the variables  listed in  `ARGUMENTS'
     to the elements of the sequence SEQUENCE.  `ARGUMENTS' can itself
     include sequences allowing for nested destructuring.

* Re: Minor typo in seq-let info docs
@ 2015-08-29 15:38 ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-08-29 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman, emacs-devel

raman@google.com writes:

> This sentence re seq-let is hard to parse -- suspect an extra "in":
>
> <cite>
> -- Macro: seq-let arguments sequence body…
>      This macro binds the variables in defined in the sequence ARGUMENTS
>      to the elements of the sequence SEQUENCE.  ARGUMENTS can itself
>      include sequences allowing for nested destructuring.
>
> --
>
> </cite>
>
> In addition, the somewhat self-referential nature of the opening
> sentence makes it confusing reading. That I am listening to it likely
> makes it harder -- adding some quoting in addition to case changes
> would make it easier reading.
>
> <rewrite>
> -- Macro: seq-let arguments sequence body…
>      This macro binds the variables  listed in  `ARGUMENTS'
>      to the elements of the sequence SEQUENCE.  `ARGUMENTS' can itself
>      include sequences allowing for nested destructuring.
>
> --

Indeed, thanks for the rewrite!

I will apply your changes (without quoting ARGUMENTS though, function
arguments should not be quoted in docstrings).

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Minor typo in seq-let info docs
@ 2015-08-31 22:51 ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2015-08-31 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Now that the seq-let doc-fix went in, I realized why I was having
trouble parsing this sentence even after the change:

<cite>
This macro binds the variables defined in ARGUMENTS to the elements
     of the sequence SEQUENCE.  ARGUMENTS can itself include sequences
     allowing for nested destructuring.
</cite>

In the texinfo sources, it's well marked up with @var{Sequence} etc --
but in the Info view, there is no font-lock property applied (and I
consequently dont get a voice change either) -- that type of change
really helps in  focusing attention when speaking a sentence like the above.