all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* question on dired mode
@ 2008-06-04  5:30 suman.nandan
From: suman.nandan @ 2008-06-04  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Emacs experts !
Recently I moved to emacs version 22.1 from 21.3.1.
Here I see that the dired mode is not working properly for me.
If I want to go one directory up, I type "^' or click or hit enter on
".." .
However in emacs 22.1 I am getting the following error
"wrong type of arguement: number-or-marker-p (9543)" for both the
cases.

Is there any apecial settings I need to do for emacs 22.1 ?

Thanks in advance !!
Suman Nandan.

* Re: question on dired mode
@ 2008-06-04 23:10 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2008-06-04 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

suman.nandan@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Emacs experts !
> Recently I moved to emacs version 22.1 from 21.3.1.
> Here I see that the dired mode is not working properly for me.
> If I want to go one directory up, I type "^' or click or hit enter on
> ".." .
> However in emacs 22.1 I am getting the following error
> "wrong type of arguement: number-or-marker-p (9543)" for both the
> cases.

> Is there any apecial settings I need to do for emacs 22.1 ?
>
> Thanks in advance !!
> Suman Nandan.

I have also recently migrated from 21.3 to 22.1 but I can't replicate
your problem. Both ^ and clicking on .. work for me. I don't understand
the nature of the OBJECT expected by (number-or-marker-p) [or the
curiously named (markerp {no hyphen}). Both seem to need function
arguments. I would expect (number-or-marker-p 9543) to return t and it
does! How did 9543 get into parentheses? Using argument (9543) doesn't
return nil but "invalid function." Lose your .emacs temporarily {
runemacs -Q -q } and see if you still have the problem.

Ed, no expert.

* Re: question on dired mode
@ 2008-06-06 16:21 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-06 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: suman.nandan@gmail.com
> Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 22:30:14 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Recently I moved to emacs version 22.1 from 21.3.1.
> Here I see that the dired mode is not working properly for me.
> If I want to go one directory up, I type "^' or click or hit enter on
> ".." .
> However in emacs 22.1 I am getting the following error
> "wrong type of arguement: number-or-marker-p (9543)" for both the
> cases.

I cannot reproduce this problem, both "^" and RET on ".." work for me
in Emacs 22.1.

Did you try this in "emacs -Q"?  Perhaps something in your .emacs is
the culprit.

* Re: question on dired mode
@ 2008-06-06 19:02 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-06-06 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suman.nandan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.06.2008 um 07:30 schrieb suman.nandan:

> However in emacs 22.1 I am getting the following error
> "wrong type of arguement: number-or-marker-p (9543)" for both the
> cases.

Try the same when you launch GNU Emacs with -Q (and maybe an
additional --debug-init). If then the same happens, then you've
discovered a bug in GNU Emacs. Otherwise the bug is in the init files
used by your system and you.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.
				- Groucho Marx