all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What does it mean?
@ 2008-11-02  1:53 Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2008-11-02  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I saw this doc string go by in the diff log

+  "Face used for variables or faces comment tags."

and realized it is not grammatical and I cannot parse it.
Does anyone know what that face is actually used for?

* Re: What does it mean?
@ 2008-11-05  3:20 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-11-05  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Richard M. Stallman" wrote:

> I saw this doc string go by in the diff log
>
> +  "Face used for variables or faces comment tags."
>
> and realized it is not grammatical and I cannot parse it.
> Does anyone know what that face is actually used for?

I presume you mean the doc of the custom-comment-tag face.

emacs -Q
M-x customize-variable abbrev-mode  ; pick any variable or face

From the "State" menu, choose "Add comment".

A "Comment:" tag is inserted, with custom-comment-tag face.
The associated entry field uses custom-comment face.

So bascially there are some missing apostrophes, ie

"Face used for variables' or faces' comment tags."

A better doc string might be

"Face used for the comment tag on variables or faces."