all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Creating projects in Emacs
@ 2002-04-24 12:47 Raghuraman
From: Raghuraman @ 2002-04-24 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

    I'm a newbie and was wondering if there is any way to create a project/filegroup in emacs and save it  - so that the next time the file is loaded, it loads all the files in the project. Pls reply to my id.

tia,
Raghu

* Re: Creating projects in Emacs
@ 2002-04-24 16:58 ` Chuck Siska
From: Chuck Siska @ 2002-04-24 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

raghu --

1. "load" all the files for the project into emacs (an emacs
   frame).

2. type M-x desktop-save, and specify the directory into which
   you would like to save the desktop (i.e., the list of files).

3. when you want to reload all the files from the project, start
   a fresh emacs (not really necessary, an already running one
   will do) and type M-x desktop-read giving the same directory.

good luck

-- chuck

--
                                           |\_/\_.-'""``:-._
What is life without looking for           . . `; -._      )-;-,_`)

* Re: Creating projects in Emacs
@ 2002-04-24 17:30   ` Greg Hill
From: Greg Hill @ 2002-04-24 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the Miscellaneous Commands chapter, under "Saving Emacs Sessions"
(section 30.11 in my copy) of the GNU Emacs Manual, it also
recommends:

	add these lines at the end of your '.emacs' file:

		(load "desktop")
		(desktop-load-default)
		(desktop-read)

That way all you have to do is make the directory in which you saved
your desktop your current shell directory, and type:

	emacs

to get right back to where you were when you last worked on that
project.  Every time you exit from emacs it automatically updates
your saved desktop for the next time.  You have to manually type "M-x
desktop-save" only once per project.  And you don't ever have to type
"M-x desktop-read".  Everything else is automatic.

--Greg