all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can I scroll inline images horizontally?
@ 2003-04-13 16:46 Felix E. Klee
From: Felix E. Klee @ 2003-04-13 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I use imaxima-mode to interface with the computer algebra system Maxima. This mode renders formulas as inline images. However, often the images are too wide to find in the emacs buffer. Therefore I would like to scroll them horizontally. But scroll-left and scroll-right only work if there is also a long line of text. So in order to view these formulas, I first have to create a long line of text and then I can use scroll-left and scroll-right.

Is there some way to tell EMACS that I want to scroll horizontally even if there aren't any long lines of text?

Felix

--
To contact me in private don't reply but send mail to
    felix DOT klee AT inka DOT de

* Re: Can I scroll inline images horizontally?
@ 2003-04-13 18:49 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-13 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee.news@gmx.net> writes:

> Is there some way to tell EMACS that I want to scroll horizontally
> even if there aren't any long lines of text?

In a way, there is.  You have to implement the feature.  Many people
will be happy if you do.  (Displaying tall images also needs work.)

--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: Can I scroll inline images horizontally?
@ 2003-04-14 22:26   ` Greg Hill
From: Greg Hill @ 2003-04-14 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 8:49 PM +0200 4/13/03, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>"Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee.news@gmx.net> writes:
>
>>  Is there some way to tell EMACS that I want to scroll horizontally
>>  even if there aren't any long lines of text?
>
>In a way, there is.  You have to implement the feature.  Many people
>will be happy if you do.  (Displaying tall images also needs work.)

Perhaps this deserves more looking into.  I have buffers that contain
nothing but a jpeg image, and I can scroll them horizontally using
(scroll-left) and (scroll-right).

I insert an image into the current buffer using:
     (insert-image (create-image "rms.jpeg") (point))

I scroll them vertically using:
     (set-window-vscroll nil (+ (window-vscroll) .5))))
and
     (set-window-vscroll nil (- (window-vscroll) .5))))

--Greg