all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Abbrevs without punctuation?
@ 2003-02-07 22:09 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-07 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm currently using Viper, and I'm editing LaTeX source code.  So I
started thinking it might be useful to have some editing commands
with a more vi-ish feeling instead of C-c C-e and C-c C-f C-<bla>.

It turns out that there is http://vim-latex.sf.net/ which provides
nifty features.  In insert mode, you can type EFI and that will
insert a figure environment (ECE inserts a center environment and so
on).  That's easy to do with abbrevs, almost.  The problem is that no
space or punctuation is required after EFI.

Ideas?

Hm.  Maybe I'll define some regular abbrevs anyway.  They could be
useful without viper, too.  I mean, it's not too terrible to have to
type space...  (The abbrevs wouldn't be *that* regular -- point would
end up in the right spot somewhere in the middle, rather than at the
end.)
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Problem with display-buffer and special-display-buffer-names
@ 2003-02-12 23:55 ` Greg Hill
From: Greg Hill @ 2003-02-12 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having a problem with display-buffer that is driving me nuts.
Since display-buffer is an interactive built-in function, it's
probably something I'm doing wrong, not a bug in Emacs.  Perhaps you
can help me figure out what is wrong.

The value of special-display-buffer-names is:

   (("bstat"
     ((font . "-Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--13-120-75-75-C-80-ISO8859-1")
      (foreground-color . "black")
      (background-color . "LightGray")
      (height . 44)
      (width . 80)
      (left . 349)
      (top . 79)
      (minibuffer)
      (menu-bar-lines . 0))))

When I invoke display-buffer to display the (currently undisplayed)
buffer "bstat", it does automatically display it in a pop-up frame,
as it should (based on the value of special-display-buffer-names);
but it does NOT apply any of the frame parameters specified in the
alist when it creates that frame.

Yet when I invoke special-display-popup-frame as shown here:

   (let ((buf (assoc "bstat" special-display-buffer-names)))
     (special-display-popup-frame (car buf) (cadr buf)))

I get exactly what I expected to get by invoking display-buffer,
including all of the specified frame parameters.

Can anyone see something I'm doing wrong?

T.I.A.

--Greg

* Re: Problem with display-buffer and special-display-buffer-names
@ 2003-02-13  1:57   ` Greg Hill
From: Greg Hill @ 2003-02-13  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 3:55 PM -0800 2/12/03, Greg Hill wrote:
>I'm having a problem with display-buffer that is driving me nuts.
>Since display-buffer is an interactive built-in function, it's
>probably something I'm doing wrong, not a bug in Emacs.  Perhaps you
>can help me figure out what is wrong.
>
>The value of special-display-buffer-names is:
>
>   (("bstat"
>     ((font . "-Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--13-120-75-75-C-80-ISO8859-1")
>      (foreground-color . "black")
>      (background-color . "LightGray")
>      (height . 44)
>      (width . 80)
>      (left . 349)
>      (top . 79)
>      (minibuffer)
>      (menu-bar-lines . 0))))

I misunderstood the documentation.  It should be: