all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Highlighting whitespace at EOL.
@ 2002-04-02 17:07 Murray Stokely
From: Murray Stokely @ 2002-04-02 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

  I'm interested in writing a minor mode for marking up man pages with
the mdoc macros.  One of the things I would like to do is have
whitespace characters at the end of a nonblank line show up in a
different color, so I can easily notice (and remove) these stray marks
(which can easily be done with a macro, but thats not the point).

  I don't need to setup a syntax table for something so trivial, do I?
Is there a good example minor mode to help learn some of this stuff?

   - Murray

* Re: Highlighting whitespace at EOL.
@ 2002-04-03 18:40 ` Chuck Siska
From: Chuck Siska @ 2002-04-03 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

murray --

if all you want to do is remove them, there is a simple "command"
to do this:  C-c i C-c C-c.  i use this extensively working with
funnelweb source code, which doesn't like trailing whitespace.
this is actually two separate commands.  the first, C-c i, enters
picture-mode and the second, C-c C-c, exits it.  it is exiting
picture-mode which does the trailing whitespace removal.
good luck.

-- chuck

--
                                           |\_/\_.-'""``:-._
What is life without looking for           . . `; -._      )-;-,_`)

* Re: Highlighting whitespace at EOL.
@ 2002-04-03 19:07 ` Greg Hill
From: Greg Hill @ 2002-04-03 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Murray,

Just last night I ran across a customization variable named
"show-trailing-whitespace" in chapter 38 of the GNU Emacs Lisp
Reference Manual.
It seems to be new with Emacs-21.

@ 2002-04-04 22:42   ` Murray Stokely
From: Murray Stokely @ 2002-04-04 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Murray Stokely, help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 11:07:03AM -0800, Greg Hill wrote:
> Just last night I ran across a customization variable named
> "show-trailing-whitespace" in chapter 38 of the GNU Emacs Lisp
> Reference Manual.
> It seems to be new with Emacs-21.

  That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!  I also found a great
.emacs posted online that does some cool stuff with this variable :

  http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~gmorris/dotemacs.html

  - Murray