all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem with X window frames
@ 2003-01-11  5:17 Greg Hill
From: Greg Hill @ 2003-01-11  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my first foray into frames, I am not having any success with the
functions select-frame, raise-frame or lower-frame, or the
customization variable focus-follows-mouse.  No errors, they just
silently have no effect.  Yet the functions make-frame,
frame-parameters,  set-frame-position, etc., all seem to work fine.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Here is the platform I am working on:

system-configuration
"sparc-sun-solaris2.7"

system-type
usg-unix-v

emacs-version
"21.2.2"

window-system

Thanks in advance.

--Greg

* Re: Problem with X window frames
       [not found] <mailman.164.1042262326.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-01-11 23:03 ` Jesper Harder
       [not found]   ` <mailman.228.1042482490.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-01-11 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:

> In my first foray into frames, I am not having any success with the
> functions select-frame, raise-frame or lower-frame,

What happens if you evaluate this expression:

     (lower-frame (make-frame))

For me it creates a new frame, lowers it and returns to the original
frame.

> or the customization variable focus-follows-mouse.

You need to configure your window manager to do that.  This option
doesn't change the focus behaviour as such -- it only tells Emacs how
your window manager works.  I'm not really sure how Emacs uses this
information.

* Re: Problem with X window frames
@ 2003-01-13 18:23   ` Greg Hill
       [not found]   ` <mailman.228.1042482490.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Greg Hill @ 2003-01-13 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:03 AM +0100 1/12/03, Jesper Harder wrote:
>Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:
>
>>  In my first foray into frames, I am not having any success with the
>>  functions select-frame, raise-frame or lower-frame,
>
>What happens if you evaluate this expression:
>
>      (lower-frame (make-frame))
>
>For me it creates a new frame, lowers it and returns to the original
>frame.

For me it creates a new frame and leaves it raised.  I can return
focus to the original frame by clicking on it, but I can't find any
lisp expression that will do that for me.  I have also tried using
speedbar, and the function speedbar-get-focus does absolutely nothing.

@ 2003-01-14  7:25     ` Tim X
       [not found]       ` <mailman.272.1042570170.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2003-01-14  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Greg> At 12:03 AM +0100 1/12/03, Jesper Harder wrote:
 >> Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:
 >>
 >>> In my first foray into frames, I am not having any success with
 >>> the functions select-frame, raise-frame or lower-frame,
 >>
 >> What happens if you evaluate this expression:
 >>
 >> (lower-frame (make-frame))
 >>
 >> For me it creates a new frame, lowers it and returns to the
 >> original frame.

 Greg> For me it creates a new frame and leaves it raised.  I can
 Greg> return focus to the original frame by clicking on it, but I
 Greg> can't find any lisp expression that will do that for me.  I
 Greg> have also tried using speedbar, and the function
 Greg> speedbar-get-focus does absolutely nothing.

 Greg> --Greg

There is a chance this could be due to your window manager. I've found
some window managers will over-ride what emacs is trying to do. For
example, for ages everytime I opened speedbar, the frame would be
exactly the same size as my normal frame, despite the speedbar frame
attributes being set to create a narrow high frame. I eventually
worked out this was due to my window manager.

If your window manager has some setting like "click to focus" or
"click to raise and focus" its possible this is over-riding what emacs
itself is trying to do.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Problem with X window frames
@ 2003-01-14 18:37       ` Greg Hill
       [not found]       ` <mailman.272.1042570170.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Greg Hill @ 2003-01-14 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

>There is a chance this could be due to your window manager. I've found
>some window managers will over-ride what emacs is trying to do. For
>example, for ages everytime I opened speedbar, the frame would be
>exactly the same size as my normal frame, despite the speedbar frame
>attributes being set to create a narrow high frame. I eventually
>worked out this was due to my window manager.
>
>If your window manager has some setting like "click to focus" or
>"click to raise and focus" its possible this is over-riding what emacs
>itself is trying to do.
>
>Tim

Tim,

Thanks, you're right.  I am using a program called eXodus on a MAC as
my terminal to the Unix machine on which I am running Emacs.  It
never occurred to me that it might be a problem with my eXodus
configuration, but that is what it was.  Under Server Settings,
Rootless Options, there is checkbox for "Allow Client to Change
Window Stacking."  Selecting that solved my problem with raising and
lowering frames.

Now if I can just figure out how to get "focus-follows-mouse" to
work.  Does anyone happen to know the trick for that?  Once again,
besides using eXodus on a MAC as my terminal, my platform is seem by
Emacs as:

system-configuration
"sparc-sun-solaris2.7"

system-type
usg-unix-v

emacs-version
"21.2.2"

window-system

Thanks again.

@ 2003-01-14 20:35         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-14 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:

> Now if I can just figure out how to get "focus-follows-mouse" to work.
> Does anyone happen to know the trick for that?

Does it work for other programs?  (Try two xterms.)

Or do you want to do something else than my first sentence implies?
--
Ambibibentists unite!

@ 2003-01-14 21:33         ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2003-01-14 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Now if I can just figure out how to get "focus-follows-mouse" to work.
> Does anyone happen to know the trick for that?  Once again, besides using
> eXodus on a MAC as my terminal, my platform is seem by Emacs as:

The focus-follows-mouse variable is a variable that you have to set
manually to tell Emacs how your window-manager behaves.

* Re: Problem with X window frames
@ 2003-01-14 23:51           ` Greg Hill
From: Greg Hill @ 2003-01-14 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 9:35 PM +0100 1/14/03, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:
>
>>  Now if I can just figure out how to get "focus-follows-mouse" to work.
>>  Does anyone happen to know the trick for that?
>
>Does it work for other programs?  (Try two xterms.)
>
>Or do you want to do something else than my first sentence implies?

Here's an odd twist.  focus-follows-mouse DOES work, sort-of, but
only after I resize a frame by dragging on its corner.  I have to
actually change the size of the frame for this to work.  If I click
and drag on the corner but retun it to its original position before
unclicking, that does not make focus-follows-mouse work.  It doesn't
matter what frame I resize.  If I open three frames, resizing any one
of them does the trick.  But then if I change focus, either by
clicking on a frame or by calling raise-frame, or if I close a frame
or open a new one, focus-follows-mouse stops working until after I
resize a frame again.  Also, calling set-frame-height or
set-frame-size does change the size of the frame, but it does not
make focus-follows-mouse start working.

I have tried every eXodus configuration option in the Rootless
Options, XServer Options and X Extensions catagories, and none of
them seems to have any effect on the way this works (except for one
which prevents focus-follows-mouse from ever working.)

One of my co-workers, who has a PC instead of a MAC, can't get
focus-follows-mouse to ever work, under any circumstances.  Another,
who has a Sun workstation, never has any problems with focus-follows
mouse.  We are all running the same Emacs on the same host.

At 4:33 PM -0500 1/14/03, Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com wrote:
>The focus-follows-mouse variable is a variable that you have to set
>manually to tell Emacs how your window-manager behaves.

It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I set
focus-follows-mouse to either t or nil.

Just had a little chat with our local X guru.  He just laughed and
told me not to waste my time trying to get focus-follows-mouse to
work correctly under eXodus, 'cause it ain't gonna happen.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

--Greg