all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why do some of my emacsen always show the "Welcome to..." screen?
@ 2007-12-19 11:28 Adam Funk
From: Adam Funk @ 2007-12-19 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On some of my installations, when I run emacs (with or without -nw) it
always comes up with the "Welcome to..." screen, which disappears with
the first keypress.  (This happens on the macports and fink emacsen,
but not on the one that came with the Mac, and on one but not both of
the Ubuntu Gutsy machines that I use.)

I find this welcome screen really annoying when I pass one or more
filename arguments to emacs.  How can I suppress it?

Thanks,
Adam

* Re: Why do some of my emacsen always show the "Welcome to..." screen?
@ 2007-12-19 12:16 ` Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2007-12-19 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-12-19, Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> wrote:

> I find this welcome screen really annoying when I pass one or more
> filename arguments to emacs.  How can I suppress it?

Customize the inhibit-splash-screen variable to non-nil to turn off
the welcome screen 'permanently'. Otherwise, you can use the
command-line option '--no-splash' to inhibit the message on a
case-by-case basis.

HTH,

Tyler

* Re: Why do some of my emacsen always show the "Welcome to..." screen?
@ 2007-12-19 15:19 ` Dmitry Dzhus
From: Dmitry Dzhus @ 2007-12-19 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> writes:

> I find this welcome screen really annoying when I pass one or more
> filename arguments to emacs.  How can I suppress it?

See `inhibit-splash-screen` customization variable.
--
Happy Hacking.

Dmitry Dzhus
http://sphinx.net.ru^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Why do some of my emacsen always show the "Welcome to..." screen?
@ 2007-12-19 16:51   ` Adam Funk
From: Adam Funk @ 2007-12-19 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-12-19, Tyler Smith wrote:

> On 2007-12-19, Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> wrote:
>>
>> I find this welcome screen really annoying when I pass one or more
>> filename arguments to emacs.  How can I suppress it?
>
> Customize the inhibit-splash-screen variable to non-nil to turn off
> the welcome screen 'permanently'. Otherwise, you can use the
> command-line option '--no-splash' to inhibit the message on a
> case-by-case basis.

Oops!  Not long after my post, I discovered the answer: putting
(setq initial-splash-screen t) in the ~/.emacs file.

Thanks.

* Re: Why do some of my emacsen always show the "Welcome to..." screen?
@ 2007-12-19 21:59   ` Adam Funk
From: Adam Funk @ 2007-12-19 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-12-19, Dmitry Dzhus wrote:

> Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> writes:
>
>> I find this welcome screen really annoying when I pass one or more
>> filename arguments to emacs.  How can I suppress it?
>
> See `inhibit-splash-screen` customization variable.

Right, thanks.