all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Troubles with Umlauts
@ 2004-04-22  8:29 Tobias Radloff
From: Tobias Radloff @ 2004-04-22  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I am having trouble using German Umlauts ('ä', 'ö', 'ü', 'ß' - I wonder if
you see these characters correctly now) with Emacs 20.7. I installed Deli
Linux (a Slackware derivate) on an old notebook, together with the
emacs_nox package from slackware 7.1 (there is no X on the machine).
Umlauts work perfectly in the terminal, vi, and other apps, only Emacs
interprets them as 'v', 'd', '|', and so on.

I checked the FAQs on the internet, to no avail. Several different ways to
edit the .emacs file did not work, including 'set-language-environment',
'set-terminal-coding-system' and 'standard-display-european'. Now I am out
of ideas.

The following variables are set:
LANG=de_DE
LC_CTYPE=de_DE
LC_ALL=de_DE
The stty parameters include -istrip and cs8.

Thanks for answers.
Tobias

* Re: Troubles with Umlauts
       [not found] <mailman.904.1082622989.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-04-22  9:43 ` mjkarki
From: mjkarki @ 2004-04-22  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias Radloff <caralus@gmx.de> wrote:
> Umlauts work perfectly in the terminal, vi, and other apps, only Emacs
> interprets them as 'v', 'd', '|', and so on.

I have following line in my .emacs file:

(set-input-mode nil nil 1)

Sincerely,
	Matti J. Kärki

@ 2004-04-22 10:06 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-04-22 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 22 2004, Tobias Radloff wrote:

> I am having trouble using German Umlauts ('ä', 'ö', 'ü', 'ß' - I
> wonder if you see these characters correctly now) with Emacs 20.7.

I see them correctly and they are declared correctly.  But this is not
related to your problem since you obviously used a different machine
and a differnt program (Opera) to send this message.

> I installed Deli Linux (a Slackware derivate) on an old notebook,
> together with the emacs_nox package from slackware 7.1 (there is no
> X on the machine). Umlauts work perfectly in the terminal, vi, and
> other apps, only Emacs interprets them as 'v', 'd', '|', and so on.
>
> [...] including 'set-language-environment',
> 'set-terminal-coding-system' and 'standard-display-european'. Now I
> am out of ideas.

`standard-display-european' is a bad idea (it's obsolete and often
leads to trouble).

> The following variables are set:
> LANG=de_DE
> LC_CTYPE=de_DE

LC_CTYPE isn't necessary when LANG has the same value.  But I won't
hurt neither.

> LC_ALL=de_DE

You most probably don't want LC_ALL.

Try "emacs -q -no-site-file".  If this still doesn't shot the 8bit
character, show us the output of `M-x describe-coding-system RET' in
this Emacs session.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Troubles with Umlauts
@ 2004-04-22 10:30   ` Tobias Radloff
       [not found]   ` <mailman.930.1082630262.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tobias Radloff @ 2004-04-22 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> I see them correctly and they are declared correctly.  But this is not
> related to your problem since you obviously used a different machine
> and a differnt program (Opera) to send this message.
True, I use a different machine for networking since the notebook has no
network device. I was just wondering.

> You most probably don't want LC_ALL.
Why not?

> Try "emacs -q -no-site-file".  If this still doesn't shot the 8bit
> character, show us the output of `M-x describe-coding-system RET' in
> this Emacs session.
That does not work. On startup I get the message "Opening input file: no
such file or directory, /usr/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias". The output of
the command you specified is: "Cannot open load file: mule-diag"

Bye,
Tobias

* Re: Troubles with Umlauts
       [not found]   ` <mailman.930.1082630262.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-04-22 17:59     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-04-22 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias Radloff <caralus@gmx.de> writes:

> That does not work. On startup I get the message "Opening input file:
> no such file or directory, /usr/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias". The
> output of the command you specified is: "Cannot open load file:
> mule-diag"

You said earlier that you installed a package called emacs-nox
version 20.7.  But the emacs you are running seems to be looking for
some X files, and cannot find mule-diag.el(c). Are you sure the emacs
you are running is the same one you installed?

What does "emacs --version" say?

* Re: Troubles with Umlauts
@ 2004-04-22 20:52       ` Tobias Radloff
From: Tobias Radloff @ 2004-04-22 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> What does "emacs --version" say?
It says "GNU Emacs 20.7.1", along with some copyright stuff. I got the
package from
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-7.1/slakware/e1/emac_nox.tgz
. The corresponding info file says:

emac_nox: Emacs binary without X support.
emac_nox:
emac_nox: A replacement /usr/bin/emacs binary that is not compiled with
X11 menu
emac_nox: support.  This version of emacs is about 400K smaller than the
full
emac_nox: version of emacs, and is the same in every respect except for X11
emac_nox: extensions.  It can still run in an xterm or rxvt if you wish to
run
emac_nox: it under X, but it is mainly included for those folks who don't
have X
emac_nox: (or the X11, Xaw, and Xt shared libs) installed on their
machines.
emac_nox: You might want to remove the version that requires X if you
install
emac_nox: and use this one.

Tobias

* Re: Troubles with Umlauts
       [not found]   ` <mailman.930.1082630262.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-04-24 21:12   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-04-24 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 22 2004, Tobias Radloff wrote:
>
>> The following variables are set:
>> LANG=de_DE
>> LC_CTYPE=de_DE
>
> LC_CTYPE isn't necessary when LANG has the same value.  But I won't
> hurt neither.

I'm not sure, but weren't there old Emacs versions which required the
string "iso8859_1" or similar in the locale to switch the language
environment automatically?

I guess that (set-language-environment "Latin-1") wouldn't hurt,
and (set-terminal-coding-system 'Latin-1) also wouldn't hurt.

Kai