all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Alexandre Oberlin" <email_via_web@migo.info>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Why is it not possible to use "nil" any more in init files ?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 21:45:24 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:15:12 +0100, Phillip Lord
<phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:

> This is somewhere in between. I certainly used to do
> (add-hook 'blah 'wanted-mode)
> which generally works.
> Then I found out about
> (add-hook 'blah 'turn-on-wanted-mode)
> which works better. But many people did the former. Now it works
> correctly as well.
Looks like there is a huge difference with the new minor mode setting
issue: the above adds clarity and does not break any backward
compatibility, so it is a good move, just like x-get-selection should be
be preferred to x-selection in new code, but x-selection still works.
This approach of adding more specific and unambiguous function names
without breaking anything could perfectly have been used for the mode
setting issue.  Taking enriched-mode (which I use all the time) as an
example, one could have added:
(set-enriched-mode) and (unset-enriched-mode)
while leaving the intrinsically ambiguous (enriched-mode) toggling as well
in evaluation as interactively.

> I don't understand why you can't seem to see that
> it's a compromise that advantages many.
This reminds me of parents who don’t understand why they should be strict
with their kid, when laxity brings contentment to the kid and peace to
themselves... for some time ;-)

Cheers,

Alexandre