all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Alexandre Oberlin" <email_via_web@migo.info>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Why is it not possible to use "nil" any more in init files ?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:10:21 +0100	[thread overview]

Toggling functions are obviously not always suitable for config files or
scripts, though there are situations where they simplify code.

Toggling functions remain quite convenient on the command line, with the
new state displaying in the minibuffer, and I am glad to see that this has
been respected. Now IMHO, it is fundamental that toggling functions like
all functions behave the same when called from a file or interactively.
They could maybe report a warning in the former case, but trigger a
revolution and create unending and potentially serious problems in legacy
code? How many million users had reported to have trouble with such
functions in scripts? Were they not able to learn good principles?

On top of that, not having the explicit arguments work as once expected
does not help. Really, ain’t it a bit confusing to have
(cua-mode -1)
return nil and
(cua-mode nil)
return t ?

Downgrading ASAP,

Alexandre

--
In the long run, every program becomes rococco, and then rubble.
		Alan Perlis