all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* oops! re: capslock problem sent to Eli only by mistake
@ 2017-08-29  4:13 B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2017-08-29  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8/27/2017 09:50, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
 >> From: "B. T. Raven" <btraven@nihilo.net>
 >> Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 16:17:29 -0500
 >>
 >> I have been using Emacs from version 21 through 24.3.1 and I recently
 >> noticed that the capslock key does nothing in w32 Emacs. Works in Word,
 >> Notepad, Wordpad, browser and every other application that takes
 >> keyboard input.
 >> C-h k shows nothing when capslock pressed (maybe it shouldn't; I never
 >> tried it before)
 >
 > CapsLock should produce the effect you expect: upper-case letters when
 > you press letter keys.  It does that here, in every Emacs version I
 > ever used.
 >
 >> Any help or even only insight into this problem would be appeciated.
 >
 > Like others told you, begin by trying this in "emacs -Q".  If CapsLock
 > doesn't work there as well, try disabling the key reassignment
 > software you installed.

Thanks, Mario, John, and Eli. Running emacs -Q gave the same symptom,
but rebooting w64 ver. 7 Ultimate fixed the problem. I usually just put
OS to sleep at night and sometimes get away without rebooting for a few
weeks but apparently MS garbage collection is not as good as Emacs'.
It's still a mystery why keyboard entry worked outside of Emacs. Maybe
it's because runemacs.exe and emacsclientw are not run from C:\Program
Files or c:\Program Files (x86) but from c:\emac\bin.

Thanks again,

Ed

p.s. I am married to the keytweak software. Without that I would need a
dedicated keyboard for emacs; maybe that's not a bad idea.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2017-08-29  4:13 UTC | newest]