all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Best paren editing plugin for evil mode
@ 2017-05-18  5:46 kfjwheeler
From: kfjwheeler @ 2017-05-18  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm a long time emacs user, first time evil-mode user.  I'm wondering what the best option is for editing S expressions in evil mode.  I've tried evil-smartparens, but I'm completely at a loss about how to use it.

Does anyone know of any good options?

Thanks

* Re: Best paren editing plugin for evil mode
@ 2017-05-18  7:55 ` Aleksandar Simic
From: Aleksandar Simic @ 2017-05-18  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: kfjwheeler; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

Hello

try not to think of it as editing text, but as editing 'trees' of data.

Maybe have a look at this interactive tutorial:

http://danmidwood.com/content/2014/11/21/animated-paredit.html

And maybe this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubcERtDyLDw

Hope that helps
Alex

@ 2017-05-18 18:46   ` Kaylen Wheeler
From: Kaylen Wheeler @ 2017-05-18 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Aleksandar Simic; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

Thanks for the tip!

@ 2017-07-04  7:40 ` cetag
From: cetag @ 2017-07-04  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 17 May 2017 22:46:32 -0700, kfjwheeler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a long time emacs user, first time evil-mode user.  I'm wondering
> what the best option is for editing S expressions in evil mode.  I've
> tried evil-smartparens, but I'm completely at a loss about how to use
> it.
>
> Does anyone know of any good options?
>
> Thanks

Sorry you've had no response to this.

So many modes, where to start. As you're using evil-mode, then perhaps
roll-your-own with enhancements from another mode. Or indeed persist with
evil-smartparens. Sacha Chua blogs well on custom init files.

Personally, I'm not sure where best to go to next. Helm, Ido, paredit.
There seems a steep learning curve with each. I have completion help in
Slime already.