all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How delete a not empty directory in the Dired buffer?
@ 2004-09-23  7:21 Giannandrea Castaldi
From: Giannandrea Castaldi @ 2004-09-23  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi all,
I'd like to delete not empty directories using emacs (these directory
are under CVS so emacs should update CVS data). When I select the
directories to delete in the Dired buffer and press 'D' it fails
beacause the directories aren't empty. There is a way in the Dired
buffer to delete not empty dir?

Thanks.

Giannandrea

* Re: How delete a not empty directory in the Dired buffer?
@ 2004-09-23  8:39 ` zrr
From: zrr @ 2004-09-23  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw

Giannandrea Castaldi <g.castal@tiscali.it> writes:

(setq dired-recursive-copies 'top)
(setq dired-recursive-deletes 'top)

@ 2004-09-23  8:47 ` Christian Lynbech
From: Christian Lynbech @ 2004-09-23  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw

Giannandrea> ... is a way in the Dired buffer to delete not empty dir?

The simplest is to use `!' which allows you to execute a command on
the file/directory which is pointed out by the cursor. That command
could be "rm -rf" which will remove the directory and all of its
contents.

In other words, you would place the cursor on the line with the
directory you want to delete and the press:

        ! rm -rf <return>

Beware though that "rm -rf" is not a very safe command so be sure you
are pointing to the correct file or directory!

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)

* Re: How delete a not empty directory in the Dired buffer?
@ 2004-10-01 16:52   ` Daniel L Elliott
From: Daniel L Elliott @ 2004-10-01 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw

I'm sorry, what does 'top signify?

@ 2004-10-01 17:24     ` zrr
From: zrr @ 2004-10-01 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw

Daniel L Elliott <dan_elliott_at_cox_dot_net@spam_is_pathetic.com> writes:

dired-recursive-copies's value is top

*Decide whether recursive copies are allowed.
nil means no recursive copies.
`always' means copy recursively without asking.
`top' means ask for each directory at top level.
Anything else means ask for each directory.

You can customize this variable.

Defined in `dired-aux'.

[back]

@ 2004-10-01 17:35     ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2004-10-01 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw

Daniel L Elliott <dan_elliott_at_cox_dot_net@spam_is_pathetic.com> writes:

> I'm sorry, what does 'top signify?
>
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:39:34 +0800, zrr wrote:
>
> > (setq dired-recursive-copies 'top)
> > (setq dired-recursive-deletes 'top)

*Decide whether recursive deletes are allowed.
nil means no recursive deletes.

`always' means delete recursively without asking.  This is DANGEROUS!

`top' means ask for each directory at top level, but delete its subdirectories
without asking.

Anything else means ask for each directory.