all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Backup filename
@ 2003-12-03 19:22 .
From: . @ 2003-12-03 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could someone tell me how to move my backups to ~/.backups and have them
named something like "|home|me|.emacs.1" and then "|home|me|.emacs.2",
"|home|me|.emacs.3" and so on. I can't get make-backup-file-name to work
on 21.?

Please help!

* Re: Backup filename
@ 2003-12-03 21:54 ` gebser
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: gebser @ 2003-12-03 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

First, look at the variable "version-control".  You can find it and
customize it under the "Custom" menu if you wish.  To have them saved in
~/.backups, you're probably going to have to noodle with
basic-save-buffer, located in files.el.

Bon appetit,
ken

At 19:22 (UTC-0000) on Wed, 3 Dec 2003 . said:

= Could someone tell me how to move my backups to ~/.backups and have them
= named something like "|home|me|.emacs.1" and then "|home|me|.emacs.2",
= "|home|me|.emacs.3" and so on. I can't get make-backup-file-name to work
= on 21.?
=
= Please help!
=
= _______________________________________________
= Help-gnu-emacs mailing list
= Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
=

* Re: Backup filename
@ 2003-12-04  7:47 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1022.1070527644.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-12-04  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "." <a.b@c.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 19:22:20 GMT
>
> Could someone tell me how to move my backups to ~/.backups and have them
> named something like "|home|me|.emacs.1" and then "|home|me|.emacs.2",
> "|home|me|.emacs.3" and so on. I can't get make-backup-file-name to work
> on 21.?

Why did you go directly to make-backup-file-name?  There's a simpler
facility; see the doc string of backup-directory-alist.  Any reasons
why it won't do what you want?

* Re: Backup filename
@ 2003-12-04 12:52 ` Sikkan
       [not found] ` <mailman.1022.1070527644.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sikkan @ 2003-12-04 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003-12-03 20:22, . wrote:
> Could someone tell me how to move my backups to ~/.backups and have them
> named something like "|home|me|.emacs.1" and then "|home|me|.emacs.2",
> "|home|me|.emacs.3" and so on. I can't get make-backup-file-name to work
> on 21.?
>
> Please help!

Try out:
http://www.peerfear.org/el/ebackup.el

It gives you a nice dir struct in the backup folder

Cheers

* Re: Backup filename
@ 2003-12-04 22:32   ` .
From: . @ 2003-12-04 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jo jag vet, tack för "tipset" :-)

Sikkan wrote:

> On 2003-12-03 20:22, . wrote:
>
>> Could someone tell me how to move my backups to ~/.backups and have
>> them named something like "|home|me|.emacs.1" and then
>> "|home|me|.emacs.2", "|home|me|.emacs.3" and so on. I can't get
>> make-backup-file-name to work on 21.?
>>
>> Please help!
>>
> Try out:
> http://www.peerfear.org/el/ebackup.el
>
> It gives you a nice dir struct in the backup folder
>
> Cheers

* Re: Backup filename
       [not found] ` <mailman.1022.1070527644.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-04 22:36   ` .
From: . @ 2003-12-04 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>From: "." <a.b@c.de>
>>Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>>Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 19:22:20 GMT
>>
>>Could someone tell me how to move my backups to ~/.backups and have them
>>named something like "|home|me|.emacs.1" and then "|home|me|.emacs.2",
>>"|home|me|.emacs.3" and so on. I can't get make-backup-file-name to work
>>on 21.?
>

> Why did you go directly to make-backup-file-name?  There's a simpler
> facility; see the doc string of backup-directory-alist.  Any reasons
> why it won't do what you want?

1) Somebody told me it was the way to go.
2) Will do!
3) No idea, will check and get back. For now, ebackup.el is ok by me.

Thanks Eli!