all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Recursive load of tramp makes my latest Emacs CVS snapshot build  unusable
@ 2008-03-19  9:42 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2008-03-19  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yesterday I recompiled my Emacs CVS. When I start it with all my add-
ons I get the following error every time I try to interactively access
a directory/file:

tramp-completion-file-name-handler: Recursive load: "/usr/local/share/
emacs/23.0.60/lisp/net/tramp.elc", "/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.60/
lisp/emacs-lisp/debug.elc", "/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/net/
tramp.elc", "/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/net/tramp.elc", "/usr/
local/share/emacs/23.0.60/lisp/net/tramp.elc", "/usr/local/share/emacs/
23.0.60/lisp/net/tramp.elc"

I removed all my add-ons related to tramp but that didn't help.

This problem completely blocks all interactive file-system access
thereby rendering my Emacs completely unusable!

To make it even more complicated the problem goes away when I boot
without my settings (emacs -q).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Nordlöw

* Re: Recursive load of tramp makes my latest Emacs CVS snapshot build unusable
@ 2008-03-19 11:16 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9179.1205926743.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-19 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.03.2008 um 10:42 schrieb Nordlöw:

> Any ideas?

Check ~/.emacs! -q tells GNU Emacs not to load this file. So the
cause for recursive loads must be in ~/.emacs.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Let's face it; we don't want a free market economy either.
		– James Farley, president, Coca-Cola Export Corp., 1959

* Re: Recursive load of tramp makes my latest Emacs CVS snapshot build unusable
@ 2008-03-19 11:38   ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9179.1205926743.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2008-03-19 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Nordlöw

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

>  Check ~/.emacs! -q tells GNU Emacs not to load this file. So the
>  cause for recursive loads must be in ~/.emacs.

The trigger is in .emacs, most likely (ido-mode 1).

The cause is a bug; most likely either in the change to net/tramp.el
of two days ago, or a sleeper in ido.el.

Workaround: use (add-hook 'term-setup-hook 'ido-mode) instead of (ido-mode 1).

(The bug has already been reported to the emacs-devel list.)

 Juanma

@ 2008-03-19 12:17     ` Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2008-03-19 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 19 Mar, 12:38, "Juanma Barranquero" <lek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@web.de> wrote:
> >  Check ~/.emacs! -q tells GNU Emacs not to load this file. So the
> >  cause for recursive loads must be in ~/.emacs.
>
> The trigger is in .emacs, most likely (ido-mode 1).
>
> The cause is a bug; most likely either in the change to net/tramp.el
> of two days ago, or a sleeper in ido.el.
>
> Workaround: use (add-hook 'term-setup-hook 'ido-mode) instead of (ido-mode 1).
>
> (The bug has already been reported to the emacs-devel list.)
>
>  Juanma

Nope.

I don't use ido-mode. Problem still occurs.
The annoying thing is that I don't get any stack-trace, that is "Enter
Debugger on Error" is active. The only hint I get is the error message
mentioned above.

However!, I have managed to temporarily solve the problem by putting
(require 'tramp) at the beginning of my .emacs.

/Per

* Re: Recursive load of tramp makes my latest Emacs CVS snapshot build unusable
@ 2008-03-19 12:23 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-03-19 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:

> This problem completely blocks all interactive file-system access
> thereby rendering my Emacs completely unusable!
>
> To make it even more complicated the problem goes away when I boot
> without my settings (emacs -q).
>
> Any ideas?

See <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/92957>. I'll work on it
tonight.

> Thanks in advance,
> Nordlöw

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Recursive load of tramp makes my latest Emacs CVS snapshot build unusable
@ 2008-03-19 14:51       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2008-03-19 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I don't use ido-mode. Problem still occurs.

I stand corrected.

When you said "every time I try to interactively access a
directory/file", what did you mean? Find-file? dired?

 Juanma

* Re: Recursive load of tramp makes my latest Emacs CVS snapshot build unusable
@ 2008-03-19 21:17 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-03-19 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:

> Yesterday I recompiled my Emacs CVS. When I start it with all my add-
> ons I get the following error every time I try to interactively access
> a directory/file:

I've committed a fix to the CVS repository.

> Thanks in advance,
> Nordlöw

Best regards, Michael.