all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* scroll-restore-mode breaks comint-mode
@ 2016-05-15 15:10 Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2016-05-15 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.

I encountered a problem that looks like a bug to me: scroll-restore-mode
(from elpa.gnu.org) breaks comint-mode (built-in, GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1).

Steps to reproduce in a clear environment:

$ mkdir /tmp/emacs.d
$ emacs --quick --eval '(setq user-emacs-directory "/tmp/emacs.d")'

(package-initialize)
(package-refresh-contents)
(package-install 'scroll-restore)
(setq scroll-restore-jump-back t)
(scroll-restore-mode 1)

M-x shell

Now I can type the first command (c d RET), start to type the second one
— and the point jumps before shell prompt:

user@local:~$ cd¦
cd¦user@local:~$

(here ‘¦’ denotes cursor position)

I could move point back to the end manually (with M-> for instance), but
that is pretty annoying.

So I have two questions:

1. Where to report the bug — it seems to me that it belongs to
scroll-restore-mode, but its page [0] says nothing about where to mail
issues.  Is it maintained at all?

[0] https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/scroll-restore.html

2. What I can do right now to make it works?

I actually would hardly need scroll-restore-mode in shell, so it would
be enough for me if there were a way disable it on per-major-mode basis.
  However scroll-restore-mode has only global state, no buffer-local, as
far as I can see.

* scroll-restore-mode breaks comint-mode
       [not found] <md5:aQihEKnKqg+uTdwQ5jvv3g==>
@ 2016-05-15 17:35 ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2016-05-15 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[ It seems that posting via Gmane does not work, so I am trying  ]
[ to mail directly; sorry if this message turns out a duplicate. ]

[...]

* RE: scroll-restore-mode breaks comint-mode
@ 2016-05-15 18:43   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-05-15 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov, help-gnu-emacs

Don't report it here.  Use `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

* Re: scroll-restore-mode breaks comint-mode
@ 2016-05-15 19:04     ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2016-05-15 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 15/05/16 21:43, Drew Adams wrote:
> Don't report it here.  Use `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

So it’s ok to report issues with packages from elpa.gnu.org against GNU
Emacs itself?  Nice.  Thanks for a prompt response.

* RE: scroll-restore-mode breaks comint-mode
@ 2016-05-16  4:38       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-05-16  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov, help-gnu-emacs

> > Don't report it here.  Use `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
>
> So it’s ok to report issues with packages from elpa.gnu.org against GNU
> Emacs itself?  Nice.  Thanks for a prompt response.

Dunno.  Maybe I was too quick and curt in my response.  I thought
this was a problem with Emacs itself.

If it is a 3rd-party library, whether from GNU ELPA, MELPA, Emacs
Wiki, or wherever, then `M-x report-emacs-bug' is probably not
the right way to report it.

In that case, the library (package) code Commentary or doc should
itself tell you how to report bugs for it.  It should at least
provide some contact info for the maintainer.

What I really meant to say (should have said) is to not report
bugs here - this is primarily a help list - but to report them
to the code maintainer.

* Re: scroll-restore-mode breaks comint-mode
@ 2016-05-16 12:24         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-05-16 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> If it is a 3rd-party library, whether from GNU ELPA, MELPA, Emacs
> Wiki, or wherever, then `M-x report-emacs-bug' is probably not
> the right way to report it.

M-x report-emacs-bug is fine for GNU ELPA packages.

* Re: scroll-restore-mode breaks comint-mode
@ 2016-05-16 18:22 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-05-16 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> 1. Where to report the bug — it seems to me that it belongs to
> scroll-restore-mode, but its page [0] says nothing about where to mail
> issues.  Is it maintained at all?

scroll-restore.el says:

    ;; Time-stamp: "2007-12-05 10:44:11 martin"
    ;; Author: Martin Rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
    ;; Version: 1.0

so you can send it to Martin, but for GNU ELPA packages you can also use
M-x report-emacs-bug.

> I actually would hardly need scroll-restore-mode in shell, so it would be
> enough for me if there were a way disable it on per-major-mode
> basis. However scroll-restore-mode has only global state, no buffer-local,
> as far as I can see.

You can try

   (add-hook 'comint-mode-hook
             (lambda () (setq-local scroll-restore-mode nil)))

tho I have no idea if it would work,

* Re: scroll-restore-mode breaks comint-mode
@ 2016-05-17 18:01   ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2016-05-17 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 16/05/16 21:22, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> 1. Where to report the bug — it seems to me that it belongs to
>> scroll-restore-mode, but its page [0] says nothing about where to mail
>> issues.  Is it maintained at all?
>
> scroll-restore.el says:
>
>      ;; Time-stamp: "2007-12-05 10:44:11 martin"
>      ;; Author: Martin Rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
>      ;; Version: 1.0
>
> so you can send it to Martin,

Fortunately, it seems that Martin monitors bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org — in
any case, he have already responded to a bug mailed there [1].

[1] http://debbugs.gnu.org/23546

> but for GNU ELPA packages you can also use
> M-x report-emacs-bug.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.

>> I actually would hardly need scroll-restore-mode in shell, so it would be
>> enough for me if there were a way disable it on per-major-mode
>> basis. However scroll-restore-mode has only global state, no buffer-local,
>> as far as I can see.
>
> You can try
>
>     (add-hook 'comint-mode-hook
>               (lambda () (setq-local scroll-restore-mode nil)))
>
> tho I have no idea if it would work,

Sorry, it does not.