all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Use psgml rather than nXML in emacs 24.4.1
@ 2016-02-29 19:57 Bob Bernstein
From: Bob Bernstein @ 2016-02-29 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Over the years I became accustomed to psgml and emacs as a tool for DocBook
xml composition. Now with Debian Jessie I have as noted emacs 24.4.1 and it
wants to insist, rather forcfully (if you ask me) that I use nXML.

My old psgml invocations do not override the automatic lurch into nXML mode
when I load an *.xml file into emacs. For example, in .emacs of course:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.xml" . xml-mode))
(autoload 'sgml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit SGML files." t)
(autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit XML files." t)

I tried adding a local variables stanza along with the above to the DocBook
file in question:

<!--
    Local Variables:
    mode: xml
    End:
-->

All have no effect on nXML coming to the fore.

All suggestions will be thoughtfully considered.

Thank you.

--
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is

* [SOLVED] Was: Use psgml rather than nXML in emacs 24.4.1
@ 2016-03-02 22:45 ` Bob Bernstein
From: Bob Bernstein @ 2016-03-02 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This followup may be filed under "Never Mind!"

Bob Bernstein <rosebud@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> Now with Debian Jessie I have as noted emacs 24.4.1 and it
> wants to insist, rather forcfully (if you ask me) that I
> use nXML.

I took another stab at learning about nXML. As usual, it was the most
unimaginably mundane issue on which I was stuck: just how, *exactly*, do I
get to see a list of legal tags that could be inserted at any point in the
document?

I have not used Fedora or RH for many many years, but the answer to my query
was here in plain (digital) black and white:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_Emacs_for_XML_editing

Thanks Fedora Project!