all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* separate compilation frame
@ 2015-12-23 15:13 Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2015-12-23 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In emacs 23.1.1, my *compilation* window goes into a separate frame.
next-error goes to the line of source in a different frame.

In 24.5.1, the compilation window goes into a split frame.  Even when I
unsplit the frame, next-error splits it again.

How do I get the emacs 23 behavior - a single compilation frame that
never splits?

I've seen people post elisp code to get the 23 behavior, but my
intuition is that the customization is already there somewhere, and the
default just changed from 23 to 24.

* Re: separate compilation frame
       [not found] <mailman.455.1450883605.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-12-23 22:07 ` Javier
From: Javier @ 2015-12-23 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Goldman <kgoldman@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> In emacs 23.1.1, my *compilation* window goes into a separate frame.
> next-error goes to the line of source in a different frame.
>
> In 24.5.1, the compilation window goes into a split frame.  Even when I
> unsplit the frame, next-error splits it again.
>
> How do I get the emacs 23 behavior - a single compilation frame that
> never splits?

The most drastic way to get that behavior

;;; Always open new buffer in new frame
(setq pop-up-frames t)

Then *everything* (compilation frames, completitions, help buffers...)
will be opened in a new frame instead of splitting the current frame
in two windows.

If you do that you better define some keys to change frames easily
with C-PageUp, C-PgDown or whatever.  The default (C-x 5 o ) is too long to press

(defun other-frame-dec () "" (interactive) (other-frame '+1))
(defun other-frame-inc () "" (interactive) (other-frame '-1))
(global-set-key [C-prior] 'other-frame-dec)
(global-set-key [C-next] 'other-frame-inc)

If you want to fine-tune which buffers get displayed in a new frame,
I don't know how to do it.  You can try to have a look at the manual

(info "(elisp) Display Action Functions")
(info "(elisp) Choosing Window Options")
(info "(elisp) Windows")
(info "(elisp) Choosing Window")
(info "(emacs) Window Choice")

* Re: separate compilation frame
@ 2015-12-27 22:19 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2015-12-27 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Goldman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Goldman <kgoldman@us.ibm.com> writes:

> In emacs 23.1.1, my *compilation* window goes into a separate frame.
> next-error goes to the line of source in a different frame.
>
> In 24.5.1, the compilation window goes into a split frame.  Even when I
> unsplit the frame, next-error splits it again.
>
> How do I get the emacs 23 behavior - a single compilation frame that
> never splits?
>
> I've seen people post elisp code to get the 23 behavior, but my
> intuition is that the customization is already there somewhere, and the
> default just changed from 23 to 24.

In stock Emacs compilation doesn't create a new frame.  You must have
customized this behaviour.  The code you wrote to customize it has a
different effect in Emacs 24 than it did in Emacs 23.  It may help to
show that code here.

BR,
Robert Thorpe