all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* auto save for shell buffers
@ 2018-01-23 19:01 Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2018-01-23 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

How can I set things up so the buffer being used to run an inferior shell will be autosaved periodically to a file?

The file to save in could be named "shell-2018-01-22".

I thought this would be trivial but it seems the autosave concept is deeply tied into the visiting file concepts which of course, doesn't apply for the buffer being used by the inferior shell.

The reason is because twice this past month my emacs had died. Usually its not a big deal but in these last two cases, it was frustrating enough to prompt me into trying to figure out a solution.

Thank you in advance
Perry

* Re: auto save for shell buffers
@ 2018-01-24  8:19 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-01-24  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: emacs-devel

Perry Smith <pedzan@icloud.com> writes:

> How can I set things up so the buffer being used to run an inferior shell will be autosaved periodically to a file?
>
> The file to save in could be named "shell-2018-01-22".
>
> I thought this would be trivial but it seems the autosave concept is
> deeply tied into the visiting file concepts which of course, doesn't
> apply for the buffer being used by the inferior shell.

I'm not sure why you think that. You can save the shell buffer to a
file, and it will be autosaved. Note that the shell buffer doesn't
have to be called "*shell*"

Robert

* Re: auto save for shell buffers
@ 2018-01-24  9:19   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2018-01-24  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Jan 24 2018, Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perry Smith <pedzan@icloud.com> writes:
>
>> How can I set things up so the buffer being used to run an inferior shell will be autosaved periodically to a file?
>>
>> The file to save in could be named "shell-2018-01-22".
>>
>> I thought this would be trivial but it seems the autosave concept is
>> deeply tied into the visiting file concepts which of course, doesn't
>> apply for the buffer being used by the inferior shell.
>>

> I'm not sure why you think that. You can save the shell buffer to a
> file, and it will be autosaved. Note that the shell buffer doesn't
> have to be called "*shell*"

Also, auto-save handles non-file buffers as well.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, schwab@suse.de
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7

* Re: auto save for shell buffers
@ 2018-01-24 19:13     ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2018-01-24 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On Jan 24, 2018, at 3:19 AM, Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> wrote:
>
> On Jan 24 2018, Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Perry Smith <pedzan@icloud.com> writes:
>>
>>> How can I set things up so the buffer being used to run an inferior shell will be autosaved periodically to a file?
>>>
>>> The file to save in could be named "shell-2018-01-22".
>>>
>>> I thought this would be trivial but it seems the autosave concept is
>>> deeply tied into the visiting file concepts which of course, doesn't
>>> apply for the buffer being used by the inferior shell.
>>>

>> I'm not sure why you think that. You can save the shell buffer to a
>> file, and it will be autosaved. Note that the shell buffer doesn't
>> have to be called "*shell*"
>
> Also, auto-save handles non-file buffers as well.

So, based upon Robert’s input, I did a write buffer to a file and it is now auto saving the buffer.

But Andreas’ reply had me even more curious.  So I started another shell and just did “auto-save-mode” which turned on auto-save mode (dahhh) and now there is a file called #%2Ashell%2A#38994078EmN# in that directory.

YIPPIE!!!

Perry