all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to use string-to/as-unibyte correctly?
@ 2016-06-20 23:40 Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2016-06-20 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi List,

As part of discussion on bug http://debbugs.gnu.org/23750, I am
wondering what is the deal with string-to/as-unibyte? How to use them
correctly or are they in their way out (obsolete)? Thanks.

,----[ Eli Zaretskii ]
`----

,----[ Eli Zaretskii ]
| Bottom line: like I said, there should be no reason to use
| string-*-unibyte in modern Emacs code on the url-http level or higher
| (maybe not at all). Its use is a sign of some basic misunderstanding,
| or a bug elsewhere, or remnant of old problems that no longer exist.
| So I think we should reconsider the solution on master as well.
`----

Leo