all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* force reparse of file variables
@ 2015-08-13 16:59 Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-08-13 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

Is there a way to force (re)-load all the file variables in a buffer?

I have a template (with yasnippet) that populates files of certain types and derives some file variables (such as the 'compile-command), but I need to save/open to load it.

Best regards,
Sam

* Re: force reparse of file variables
@ 2015-08-13 17:43 ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2015-08-13 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to force (re)-load all the file variables in a buffer?
>
> I have a template (with yasnippet) that populates files of certain
> types and derives some file variables (such as the 'compile-command),
> but I need to save/open to load it.

Do that lots of times.
I save the file, then revert-buffer.

--
Dan Espen

* RE: force reparse of file variables
@ 2015-08-13 18:23   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2015-08-13 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Espen, help-gnu-emacs

> > Is there a way to force (re)-load all the file variables in a buffer?
> >
> > I have a template (with yasnippet) that populates files of certain
> > types and derives some file variables (such as the 'compile-command),
> > but I need to save/open to load it.
>
> Do that lots of times.  I save the file, then revert-buffer.

C-x C-v RET

IOW, `find-alternate-file' should do what you want, I think.  It kills
the buffer and revisits the file.

* Re: force reparse of file variables
@ 2015-08-14 12:54   ` Sam Halliday
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8326.1439558135.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-08-14 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, 13 August 2015 18:43:37 UTC+1, Dan Espen  wrote:
> Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:
> > Is there a way to force (re)-load all the file variables in a buffer?
> >
> > I have a template (with yasnippet) that populates files of certain
> > types and derives some file variables (such as the 'compile-command),
> > but I need to save/open to load it.
>
> Do that lots of times.
> I save the file, then revert-buffer.

Thanks Dan. That works a charm. The one problem is that it means that in my workflow if I create a new buffer, that has a file template, then I always save the file instead of waiting for the user to decide when to save it. If there was a way to reload the File-Variables for an unsaved buffer, that'd be even better.

FYI, my templating is implemented here

https://github.com/fommil/dotfiles/blob/master/.emacs.d/init.el#L222

* Re: force reparse of file variables
@ 2015-08-14 13:14     ` Michael Heerdegen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8326.1439558135.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2015-08-14 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

> If there was a way to reload the File-Variables for an unsaved buffer,
> that'd be even better.

I guess something like M-: (hack-local-variables) RET should work.

Michael.

@ 2015-08-14 13:41       ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2015-08-14 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> If there was a way to reload the File-Variables for an unsaved buffer,
>> that'd be even better.
>
> I guess something like M-: (hack-local-variables) RET should work.

It does.

Who knew?

--
Dan Espen

@ 2015-08-14 15:23       ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2015-08-14 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, 14 August 2015 14:15:38 UTC+1, Michael Heerdegen  wrote:
> Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > If there was a way to reload the File-Variables for an unsaved buffer,
> > that'd be even better.
>
> I guess something like M-: (hack-local-variables) RET should work.

Fantastic! :-D