all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclient: Cursor Color
@ 2015-08-12 10:45 Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2015-08-12 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm playing around with emacsclient. I use a systemd user service unit to
start emacs --daemon and then emacsclient -nc for startup from graphical
console and emacsclient -c for startup from desktop file.

Anyway, I use a dark theme, the cursor is pink when started as emacs.

However, when started as emacsclient the cursor is dark too, barely
distinguishable from background. As I said, only when started as client.

Anybody has experienced that?

Thanks,
Florian

* Re: emacsclient: Cursor Color
@ 2015-08-13 11:26 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-08-13 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm playing around with emacsclient. I use a systemd user
> service unit to start emacs --daemon and then emacsclient -nc
> for startup from graphical console and emacsclient -c for
> startup from desktop file.
>
> Anyway, I use a dark theme, the cursor is pink when started as
> emacs.
>
> However, when started as emacsclient the cursor is dark too,
> barely distinguishable from background. As I said, only when
> started as client.
>
> Anybody has experienced that?

This sounds similar to something i've been meaning to look into
for a while: starting Emacs as `emacs` results in at least some
incorrect font-faces being applied (e.g. in `mu4e`), whereas
there's no such problem when starting Emacs as a daemon and then
starting `emacsclient`. Since i mostly run Emacs as a daemon, this
hasn't been much of an issue for me. At any rate, however, i'm not
sure where to begin tracking down the cause of this ....

Context: i'm on Debian Jessie x86_64.

Alexis.

* Re: emacsclient: Cursor Color
@ 2015-08-13 11:59   ` Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2015-08-13 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alexis wrote:

>> I'm playing around with emacsclient. I use a systemd user
>> service unit to start emacs --daemon and then emacsclient -nc
>> for startup from graphical console and emacsclient -c for
>> startup from desktop file.
>>
>> Anyway, I use a dark theme, the cursor is pink when started as
>> emacs.
>>
>> However, when started as emacsclient the cursor is dark too,
>> barely distinguishable from background. As I said, only when
>> started as client.
>>
>> Anybody has experienced that?
>
> This sounds similar to something i've been meaning to look into
> for a while: starting Emacs as `emacs` results in at least some
> incorrect font-faces being applied (e.g. in `mu4e`), whereas
> there's no such problem when starting Emacs as a daemon and then
> starting `emacsclient`. Since i mostly run Emacs as a daemon, this
> hasn't been much of an issue for me. At any rate, however, i'm not
> sure where to begin tracking down the cause of this ....
>
> Context: i'm on Debian Jessie x86_64.

Not really adding something, but context: Emacs 24.5.1 on Arch. Note: Cursor
is not only darkish, but also does not blink.

All colour / cursor / theme related settings I have in my .emacs are

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 100)
(load-theme 'manoj-dark)

Regards,
Florian