all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Screen size (pixels or whatever)
@ 2015-06-22 20:49 Vasily Korytov
       [not found] ` <mailman.5472.1435016699.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2015-06-22 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey,

How do I get screen size in Emacs?

I don’t mean frame-width, but I mean eventually the number of lines that are possible to fit on the screen.

That is: on one machine I have 1400х1050 and I use:

(setq default-frame-alist
    '((height . 53)
      (width . 120)
      (top . 50)
      (left . 380)))

On second one I have 1280x768 and I use:

(setq default-frame-alist
    '((height . 45)
      (width . 120)
      (top . 3)
      (left . 220)))

I want to glue this in one configuration file that works on both machines.

I would like to know, if there is a function, that would give me the number of pixels on the current display or some other mean to detect, is it a large screen or not.

--
   Vasily Korytov
   http://chillum.github.io

* Re: Screen size (pixels or whatever)
@ 2015-06-22 20:52 ` Vasily Korytov
       [not found] ` <mailman.5472.1435016699.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2015-06-22 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

22 черв. 2015 о 23:49 Vasily Korytov <vasily.korytov@yandex.com> написав(ла):
> How do I get screen size in Emacs?

The answer is (display-pixel-width) and (display-pixel-height).

Found the answer just after posting.

Thanks for reading this.

--

@ 2015-06-23  0:00   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-06-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Vasily Korytov <vasily.korytov@yandex.com> writes:

> The answer is (display-pixel-width) and
> (display-pixel-height).

I have those 85 and 32 so that ain't that many
pixels :) But I suspect that is chars an lines
(COLUMNS and LINES in da' shell).

But: What are you trying to do?

You know of course of --fullscreen in X? Which is the
only way one could use Emacs in X without going
nuts...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

@ 2015-06-23  1:19   ` JohnF
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5480.1435030538.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: JohnF @ 2015-06-23  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Vasily Korytov <vasily.korytov@yandex.com> wrote:
> 22 ????. 2015 ? 23:49 Vasily Korytov <vasily.korytov@yandex.com> ???????(??):
>> How do I get screen size in Emacs?
> The answer is (display-pixel-width) and (display-pixel-height).
> Found the answer just after posting.
> Thanks for reading this.

I've been using
  ;;; initial frame width,height,position
  (set-frame-width (selected-frame) 80)        ; #chars wide
  (set-frame-height (selected-frame) 52)       ; #lines ling
  (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 10 10 ) ; x y from upper-left
What's the diff???
--
John Forkosh  ( mailto:  j@f.com  where j=john and f=forkosh )

* Re: Screen size (pixels or whatever)
@ 2015-06-23  3:35     ` Marko Vojinovic
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5480.1435030538.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Marko Vojinovic @ 2015-06-23  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 01:19:41 +0000 (UTC)
JohnF <john@please.see.sig.for.email.com> wrote:

> Vasily Korytov <vasily.korytov@yandex.com> wrote:
> > 22 ????. 2015 ? 23:49 Vasily Korytov
> > <vasily.korytov@yandex.com> ???????(??):
> >> How do I get screen size in Emacs?
> > The answer is (display-pixel-width) and (display-pixel-height).
> > Found the answer just after posting.
> > Thanks for reading this.
>
> I've been using
>   ;;; initial frame width,height,position
>   (set-frame-width (selected-frame) 80)        ; #chars wide
>   (set-frame-height (selected-frame) 52)       ; #lines ling
>   (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 10 10 ) ; x y from upper-left
> What's the diff???

As the OP explained in the original post, he wants those rules to work
conditionally, if certain screen resolution is detected.

I don't know how to do that internally in Emacs, but if one is running
under Linux, the command "xrandr | grep \*" will tell you the
resolution and frequency of the monitor. Maybe one can have Emacs
execute this and parse the info...

HTH, :-)
Marko

* Re: Screen size (pixels or whatever)
@ 2015-06-23 14:23   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-06-23 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-06-22 22:52, Vasily Korytov <vasily.korytov@yandex.com> writes:

> 22 черв. 2015 о 23:49 Vasily Korytov <vasily.korytov@yandex.com> написав(ла):
>> How do I get screen size in Emacs?
>
> The answer is (display-pixel-width) and (display-pixel-height).

This gives you the full width and height, including menu bars. I think
Drew Adams has code that takes this into account in his 1on1 library
(http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneOnOneEmacs), but I don't recall which
file this is in exactly.

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Weekly CO₂ average (2015-05-30, Mauna Loa Observatory): 403.41 ppm

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* RE: Screen size (pixels or whatever)
@ 2015-06-23 14:59     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2015-06-23 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt, help-gnu-emacs

> >> How do I get screen size in Emacs?
> > The answer is (display-pixel-width) and (display-pixel-height).
>
> This gives you the full width and height, including menu bars. I
> think Drew Adams has code that takes this into account in his 1on1 library
> (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneOnOneEmacs), but I don't recall
> which file this is in exactly.

`frame-cmds.el' might help; dunno.  (It in turn requires `frame-fns.el'.)

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/frame-cmds.el
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/frame-fns.el

@ 2015-06-24  4:57       ` JohnF
From: JohnF @ 2015-06-24  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com> wrote:
> JohnF <john@please.see.sig.for.email.com> wrote:
>> Vasily Korytov <vasily.korytov@yandex.com> wrote:
>> > Vasily Korytov <vasily.korytov@yandex.com> ???????(??):
>> > The answer is (display-pixel-width) and (display-pixel-height).
>> > Found the answer just after posting.
>> > Thanks for reading this.
>>
>> I've been using
>>   ;;; initial frame width,height,position
>>   (set-frame-width (selected-frame) 80)        ; #chars wide
>>   (set-frame-height (selected-frame) 52)       ; #lines ling
>>   (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 10 10 ) ; x y from upper-left
>> What's the diff???
>
> As the OP explained in the original post,

Right, my bad. Sorry, I overlooked that. Thanks.

--
John Forkosh  ( mailto:  j@f.com  where j=john and f=forkosh )