all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to update core extensions (Gnus)?
@ 2015-03-02 12:23 Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-03-02 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help List

Contrary to my long-held belief in the stagnation of the Gnus codebase (I was under the impression it had been untouched since 2009), Gnus has been revived and I want to implement changes that are newer than my current 25.0.5 emacs version. But it looks from my package manager that Gnus isn't something that I can, for instance, grab from Melpa. What's the best practice for updating a core package like this? Can I clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git and cause emacs to respect the clone over the built-in? Should I?

* Re: How to update core extensions (Gnus)?
@ 2015-03-02 12:39 ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2015-03-02 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Contrary to my long-held belief in the stagnation of the Gnus codebase
> (I was under the impression it had been untouched since 2009), Gnus
> has been revived and I want to implement changes that are newer than
> my current 25.0.5 emacs version. But it looks from my package manager
> that Gnus isn't something that I can, for instance, grab from Melpa.
> What's the best practice for updating a core package like this? Can I
> clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git and cause emacs to respect the
> clone over the built-in? Should I?

Someone else may comment on that "stagnation" thing!

Yes, you can do it and if you fancy trying it you should.

Clone the repository and study the README file.

atb

Glyn

* Re: How to update core extensions (Gnus)?
@ 2015-03-02 12:52 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-03-02 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-03-02 07:23, torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Contrary to my long-held belief in the stagnation of the Gnus codebase
> (I was under the impression it had been untouched since 2009), Gnus
> has been revived and I want to implement changes that are newer than
> my current 25.0.5 emacs version. But it looks from my package manager
> that Gnus isn't something that I can, for instance, grab from
> Melpa. What's the best practice for updating a core package like this?
> Can I clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git and cause emacs to respect
> the clone over the built-in? Should I?

I use the git version of gnus. I simply do "make" after checking it out,
then I have this in my init.el:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/gnus/lisp/")
(require 'gnus-load)
#+end_src

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to update core extensions (Gnus)?
       [not found] <mailman.1130.1425299050.31049.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-03-02 23:34 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-03-02 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Contrary to my long-held belief in the stagnation of
> the Gnus codebase (I was under the impression it had
> been untouched since 2009), Gnus has been revived
> and I want to implement changes that are newer than
> my current 25.0.5 emacs version. But it looks from
> my package manager that Gnus isn't something that I
> can, for instance, grab from Melpa. What's the best
> practice for updating a core package like this? Can
> I clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git and cause emacs
> to respect the clone over the built-in? Should I?

You know what they say in Barcelona: If you ever so
slightly considered taking a psychedelic drug - you
are thinking, "well, maybe" - then you should do it :)

I hope and think Gnus isn't stagnating. Gnus is part
of Emacs (it says "Version: 5.13" in gnus.el) so you
should get updates automagically with the next version
of Emacs.

What gnus.el version do you have? You can also echo
the `gnus-version' variable.

By the way, this is your second question about getting
the latest stuff in unorthodox ways. And you even use
Emacs 25.0 (I have 24.4). You are not neurotic about
this, now? :)

--
underground experts united

* Re: How to update core extensions (Gnus)?
@ 2015-03-03  1:34 ` Les Harris
From: Les Harris @ 2015-03-03  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Contrary to my long-held belief in the stagnation of the Gnus codebase
> (I was under the impression it had been untouched since 2009), Gnus
> has been revived and I want to implement changes that are newer than
> my current 25.0.5 emacs version. But it looks from my package manager
> that Gnus isn't something that I can, for instance, grab from
> Melpa. What's the best practice for updating a core package like this?
> Can I clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git and cause emacs to respect
> the clone over the built-in? Should I?

As you've discovered, Gnus is pretty actively worked on.  Since you're
already running pretest builds of emacs why not just go all the way and
build the emacs git master yourself?

That way you'll get the bleeding edge stuff you want as it comes out.  I
did it for years, it is not difficult.

--
Do they only stand
By ignorance, is that their happy state,

* Re: How to update core extensions (Gnus)?
@ 2015-03-03 19:06   ` Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-03-03 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks. I hope I'm not neurotic about it now :) I find that lately I've been in contact with developers of several of these extensions, and so I want to be able to test their fixes/improvements as soon as they mention they've updated the codebase.