all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* deciding how windows split
@ 2013-07-04 12:47 J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2013-07-04 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I like my 'normal' behavior, where any command that creates a new window (like
'grep') opens the new window under where my current window is.

I recently got a new monitor, a very wide one, and I have my emacs stretched
out some.  Now new windows are opening to the right of the current one.

Is there some way to force emacs to continue to open new windows under my
current one.

I tried using customize-apropos on words that sounded like they might be what
I wanted, but can't find anything like that.

Thanks,

Dave

* Re: deciding how windows split
@ 2013-07-04 13:12 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-07-04 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> I like my 'normal' behavior, where any command that creates a new
> window (like 'grep') opens the new window under where my current
> window is.
>
> I recently got a new monitor, a very wide one, and I have my emacs
> stretched out some. Now new windows are opening to the right of the
> current one.
>
> Is there some way to force emacs to continue to open new windows under
> my current one.
>
> I tried using customize-apropos on words that sounded like they might
> be what I wanted, but can't find anything like that.

maybe

M-x customize-variable RET split-window-preferred-function

?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: deciding how windows split
@ 2013-07-05 11:46 ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2013-07-05 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I recently got a new monitor, a very wide one, and I have my emacs stretched
> out some.  Now new windows are opening to the right of the current one.
>
> Is there some way to force emacs to continue to open new windows under my
> current one.

adjust the value of split-width-threshold?

* Re: deciding how windows split
@ 2013-07-05 13:18   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2013-07-05 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bernardo <bernardo.bacic@pobox.com> writes:

>> I recently got a new monitor, a very wide one, and I have my emacs stretched
>> out some.  Now new windows are opening to the right of the current one.
>>
>> Is there some way to force emacs to continue to open new windows under my
>> current one.
>
> adjust the value of split-width-threshold?

Thanks, set it to 400, not it never splits sideways....

* Re: deciding how windows split
@ 2013-07-05 13:19   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2013-07-05 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
>
>> I like my 'normal' behavior, where any command that creates a new
>> window (like 'grep') opens the new window under where my current
>> window is.
>>
>> I recently got a new monitor, a very wide one, and I have my emacs
>> stretched out some. Now new windows are opening to the right of the
>> current one.
>>
>> Is there some way to force emacs to continue to open new windows under
>> my current one.
>>
>> I tried using customize-apropos on words that sounded like they might
>> be what I wanted, but can't find anything like that.
>
> maybe
>
> M-x customize-variable RET split-window-preferred-function
>
> ?

Thanks, that's what I was looking for!

* Re: deciding how windows split
@ 2013-07-05 16:39     ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2013-07-05 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

J. David Boyd wrote:
> Thorsten Jolitz writes:
> > J. David Boyd writes:
> >> Is there some way to force emacs to continue to open new windows under
> >> my current one.
> >
> > maybe
> > M-x customize-variable RET split-window-preferred-function
>
> Thanks, that's what I was looking for!

I always set this in my .emacs file to force thet raditional vertical
window splitting.  Splitting horizontally does not work well with my
preferred window layout.

  (setq split-width-threshold nil)

Bob