Chong Yidong wrote: > I've checked in what I think is a correct fix into the trunk. > > (I'm hardly an expert in this part of the code, so it's better not to > put it in the branch in case it turns out to be a wrong fix.) You jinxed it. ;) It seems to cause problems. man.1 (attached) renders worse in the current trunk than in Emacs 23.3. The woman-log buffer has many entries that do not appear in 23.3: ** Escape ignored: \- -> - [many times] ** Escape ignored: \f -> f [many times] ** .. request ignored! [several times] ** Numeric/register argument error: w'man 'u An example of a section that renders worse is The following conventions apply to the SYNOPSIS section and can be used as a guide in other sections. fBbold textfR@T{ type exactly as shown. T} In 23.3, "bold text" is correctly rendered in bold. Also the spaces are missing between "man" and the arguments in the following section: EXAMPLES man ls Display the manual page for the item (program) ls.