all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eww using GET for https
@ 2015-01-09 17:21 Simon Friedberger
From: Simon Friedberger @ 2015-01-09 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello List!

I am trying to figure out what is going on with my emacs setup at work.

I could not access marmalade and started digging.

By now I have installed the gnutls and libxml2 dlls and set the
http_proxy environment variable to the company proxy.

Now I get an

"Unsupported Request Method and Protocol"

when using

M-x eww
https://www.google.de

So I fired up wireshark and (I may have misread because it's a bit hard
to find the relevant stuff in a wireshark dump but) it looks like emacs
is sending a GET request for the https URL instead of a CONNECT. Now my
networking knowledge is rather limited but that might be wrong.

How should I proceed?

Regards,
Simon

* Re: eww using GET for https
@ 2015-01-09 20:30 ` Pedro Insua
       [not found]   ` <mailman.17573.1420836786.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pedro Insua @ 2015-01-09 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Fri, 09 Jan 2015 18:21:49 +0100,
Simon Friedberger wrote:

> Hello List!
>

> I am trying to figure out what is going on with my emacs setup at work.
>
> I could not access marmalade and started digging.
>
> By now I have installed the gnutls and libxml2 dlls and set the
> http_proxy environment variable to the company proxy.
>
> Now I get an
>
> "Unsupported Request Method and Protocol"
>
> when using
>
> M-x eww
> https://www.google.de
>
> So I fired up wireshark and (I may have misread because it's a bit hard
> to find the relevant stuff in a wireshark dump but) it looks like emacs
> is sending a GET request for the https URL instead of a CONNECT. Now my
> networking knowledge is rather limited but that might be wrong.
>
> How should I proceed?

  Change the proxy address and try:

    (setq url-proxy-services '(("http" . "192.168.2.2:8080")))

> Regards,
> Simon

* Re: eww using GET for https
@ 2015-01-09 20:52   ` Simon Friedberger
       [not found]   ` <mailman.17573.1420836786.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Simon Friedberger @ 2015-01-09 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Pedro,

On 01/09/2015 09:30 PM, Pedro Insua wrote:
>   Change the proxy address and try:
>
>     (setq url-proxy-services '(("http" . "192.168.2.2:8080")))

not sure what you mean by changing the proxy address. Since it's the
company proxy I can't change its address.
I can try setting url-proxy-services however, so far I tried with the
http_proxy environment variable.

Best,
Simon

* Re: eww using GET for https
@ 2015-01-09 22:06     ` Pedro Insua
From: Pedro Insua @ 2015-01-09 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Fri, 09 Jan 2015 21:52:44 +0100,
Simon Friedberger wrote:

> Hi Pedro,
>
> On 01/09/2015 09:30 PM, Pedro Insua wrote:
> >   Change the proxy address and try:
> >
> >     (setq url-proxy-services '(("http" . "192.168.2.2:8080")))
>
> not sure what you mean by changing the proxy address. Since it's the
> company proxy I can't change its address.
> I can try setting url-proxy-services however, so far I tried with the
> http_proxy environment variable.

  Yes, my mistake. You can try setting the 'url-proxy-services' variable.

> Best,
> Simon

* Re: eww using GET for https
       [not found]   ` <mailman.17573.1420836786.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-12-30  9:24     ` whudwl
From: whudwl @ 2015-12-30  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

HiSimon,

Have you found a solution to this?
I'm facing the exact same problem. I'm using eww in office, behind corporate proxy. I can open HTTP sites Okay but cannot open HTTPS sites.

Kind Regards
David Dai