-- Oliver PS: Could someone who has an Emacs compiled with image-support, but without XPM-support check if the following gives a coloured image for him or her, please? (require 'gamegrid) (insert-image (xpm-convert-string gamegrid-xpm '((col1 . "Blue") (col2 . "Red") (col3 . "Green")) :ascent 'center)) Footnotes: [1] I have not read the specification for the XPM-format, yet. (My ghostscript is b0rked.) My knowledge of the format is based on a few example XPMs. Furthermore I am just an amateur. I would appreciate it, if an experienced programmer could have a quick glance over my code and tell me if the approach is clean/unclean/silly/sound. And finally, if you like the idea, this should probably go into images.el, not into gamegrid.el, and hook there into the functions to create images. -- Jour du Génie de l'Année 210 de la Révolution Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!