Richard Stallman writes: > I don't know anything about Emacs' internals. Does an Emacs that > supports images always support colours, too? > > Emacs always supports colors, but the display in use could be monochrome. > Use display-color-p to test that. Pardon my ignorance: what happens with colour images on monochrome displays? Are they displayed in shades of gray if `display-grayscale-p' returns nil? If so, the conversion of XPM to PPM would probably do for such displays. Are there any displays for which `display-images-p' returns t, but both `display-color-p' and `display-grayscale-p' return nil? Is it necessary to make sure that gamegrid.el DTRT on such displays? If not, I suggest to simply convert XPMs via some Lisp functions if Emacs is compiled without XPM-support on the C-level. I have written a prototype[1] for this. What do you think?