all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Prevent fill-paragraph from adding a newline?
@ 2003-04-23 13:51 Gerald Wildgruber
From: Gerald Wildgruber @ 2003-04-23 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is with emacs 21.3.50.

Every time I do a M-q (fill-paragraph) in text mode, emacs has this
annoying habit of silently adding a newline to the end of the paragraph.

Why is this so and is there a way to prevent emacs from doing so?

Thanks for your help,

Gerald.

* Re: Prevent fill-paragraph from adding a newline?
@ 2003-04-23 19:22 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-04-23 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This is with emacs 21.3.50.

Then it should go to emacs-retest-bug@gnu.org.
If you use M-x report-emacs-bug (which you should), it'll do that
for you.

> Every time I do a M-q (fill-paragraph) in text mode, emacs has this
> annoying habit of silently adding a newline to the end of the paragraph.

Sounds like a bug (and I'd be the one who introduced it, most likely).
Please report the bug as mentioned above.

* Re: Prevent fill-paragraph from adding a newline?
@ 2003-04-24  8:02   ` Gerald Wildgruber
From: Gerald Wildgruber @ 2003-04-24  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> > This is with emacs 21.3.50.
>
> Then it should go to emacs-retest-bug@gnu.org.
> If you use M-x report-emacs-bug (which you should), it'll do that
> for you.
>
> > Every time I do a M-q (fill-paragraph) in text mode, emacs has this
> > annoying habit of silently adding a newline to the end of the paragraph.
>
> Sounds like a bug (and I'd be the one who introduced it, most likely).
> Please report the bug as mentioned above.

Stefan, thanks for your answer.

Actually I don't think that this problem has anything to do with my using a
CVS version. And probably it wasn't you either who introduced this behavior
:-) If I remember correctly, this adding of a newline has always been the
case with M-q since I used emacs. Also, I remember faintly that as this
question came up already a long time ago, a reason was given for it (not a
bug but a feature) but I cannot remember what exactly it was and I didn't
find it on google.

The adding of a newline only happens, if nothing follows the actual
paragraph, the one M-q is being applied to. If some text follows, no
additional newline is inserted.

Put point inside text near the end of buffer, do a M-q and after the last
letter an newline is automagically inserted. I don't know why.

My knowledge on the other hand of elisp is so pathetic that checking the
function in fill.el did not enlighten me.

@ 2003-04-29 23:41     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-04-29 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Actually I don't think that this problem has anything to do with my using a
> CVS version. And probably it wasn't you either who introduced this behavior
> :-) If I remember correctly, this adding of a newline has always been the
> case with M-q since I used emacs. Also, I remember faintly that as this
> question came up already a long time ago, a reason was given for it (not a
> bug but a feature) but I cannot remember what exactly it was and I didn't
> find it on google.

Oh, if you're talking about the additional newline at the end
of the buffer, then I know what you're talking about and I'd be interested
if you could help me find the relevant discussion (I'd like to get rid
of this silly newline thing).

* Re: Prevent fill-paragraph from adding a newline?
@ 2003-05-05  0:26       ` Gerald Wildgruber
From: Gerald Wildgruber @ 2003-05-05  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> > Actually I don't think that this problem has anything to do with my using a
> > CVS version. And probably it wasn't you either who introduced this behavior
> > :-) If I remember correctly, this adding of a newline has always been the
> > case with M-q since I used emacs. Also, I remember faintly that as this
> > question came up already a long time ago, a reason was given for it (not a
> > bug but a feature) but I cannot remember what exactly it was and I didn't
> > find it on google.
>
> Oh, if you're talking about the additional newline at the end
> of the buffer, then I know what you're talking about and I'd be interested
> if you could help me find the relevant discussion (I'd like to get rid
> of this silly newline thing).

Sorry for my late answer, I have been offline for a couple of days.

I'll retry to find this discussion either through gockel or on my local
drive :-) and post a link if I succeed in finding it again.

Gerald.