all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* refreshing all frames from files
@ 2007-03-01  1:44 Gary Wessle
From: Gary Wessle @ 2007-03-01  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

often times I would have many files visited and thus few windows in
the frame, is there a key hit to refresh all of them at once instead
of C-x C-v for each and every one?

thanks

* Re: refreshing all frames from files
@ 2007-03-01  2:16 ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-03-01  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 28 fev, 22:44, Gary Wessle <phd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> often times I would have many files visited and thus few windows in
> the frame, is there a key hit to refresh all of them at once instead
> of C-x C-v for each and every one?
>
> thanks

What do you mean refresh?

* Re: refreshing all frames from files
@ 2007-03-01  3:00   ` Gary Wessle
From: Gary Wessle @ 2007-03-01  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"weber" <hugows@gmail.com> writes:

> On 28 fev, 22:44, Gary Wessle <phd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > often times I would have many files visited and thus few windows in
> > the frame, is there a key hit to refresh all of them at once instead
> > of C-x C-v for each and every one?
> >
> > thanks
>
> What do you mean refresh?
 the files get changed by another process and I want to view the
 changes with out having to do C-x C-v for each and every one.

* Re: refreshing all frames from files
@ 2007-03-01  4:28     ` Matthew Flaschen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.241.1172726970.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-03-01  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Gary Wessle wrote:
> "weber" <hugows@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 28 fev, 22:44, Gary Wessle <phd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> often times I would have many files visited and thus few windows in
>>> the frame, is there a key hit to refresh all of them at once instead
>>> of C-x C-v for each and every one?
>>>
>>> thanks
>> What do you mean refresh?
>  the files get changed by another process and I want to view the
>  changes with out having to do C-x C-v for each and every one.

I just worked up the below.  I set the key combo As C-x v, which is
unused by default.  However, you can change it.  Put it in ~/.emacs:

Matthew Flaschen

(defun refresh-all-buffers ()
"Refreshes all buffers from disk"
(interactive)
(mapc
 (lambda (buffer)
   (if (buffer-file-name buffer)
   (find-alternate-file (buffer-file-name buffer))))
 (buffer-list)))

(global-set-key [?\C-x ?v] 'refresh-all-buffers)

* Re: refreshing all frames from files
@ 2007-03-01  5:25     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.241.1172726970.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-03-01  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gary Wessle wrote:
> "weber" <hugows@gmail.com> writes:
>> On 28 fev, 22:44, Gary Wessle <phd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> often times I would have many files visited and thus few windows in
>>> the frame, is there a key hit to refresh all of them at once instead
>>> of C-x C-v for each and every one?
>>>
>> What do you mean refresh?
>  the files get changed by another process and I want to view the
>  changes with out having to do C-x C-v for each and every one.

`M-x global-auto-revert-mode' avoids the need to do anything explicitly.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2007-03-01  6:11       ` Gary Wessle
From: Gary Wessle @ 2007-03-01  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> Gary Wessle wrote:
> >>>
> >> What do you mean refresh?
> >  the files get changed by another process and I want to view the
> >  changes with out having to do C-x C-v for each and every one.
>
> `M-x global-auto-revert-mode' avoids the need to do anything explicitly.

the mode is ON.
how do you fire it?

* Re: refreshing all frames from files
@ 2007-03-01 11:57         ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found]         ` <mailman.244.1172750433.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-03-01 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Wessle; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > >  the files get changed by another process and I want to view the
> > >  changes with out having to do C-x C-v for each and every one.
> >
> > `M-x global-auto-revert-mode' avoids the need to do anything explicitly.
>
> the mode is ON.
> how do you fire it?

It is *automatic* when ON. That is, just activate this minor-mode
globally and all will be okay.

Xavier

* Re: refreshing all frames from files
@ 2007-03-01 12:07         ` weber
       [not found]         ` <mailman.244.1172750433.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: weber @ 2007-03-01 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 28 fev, 22:11, Gary Wessle <phd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Gary Wessle wrote:

> > >  the files get changed by another process and I want to view the
> > >  changes with out having to do C-x C-v for each and every one.
>
> > `M-x global-auto-revert-mode' avoids the need to do anything explicitly.
>
> the mode is ON.
> how do you fire it?

You don't fire it, it will detect changes and revert (update) files.

@ 2007-03-02  1:27           ` Gary Wessle
From: Gary Wessle @ 2007-03-02  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu.org> writes:

> > > `M-x global-auto-revert-mode' avoids the need to do anything explicitly.
> >
> > the mode is ON.
> > how do you fire it?
>
> It is *automatic* when ON. That is, just activate this minor-mode
> globally and all will be okay.
>
> Xavier

any way to make the buffer "once it gets updated" to show the last
line and not the beginning as it does now, i.e, move the pointer down
to the end so that I can see whats just been inserted?

@ 2007-03-02  3:50             ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]             ` <mailman.296.1172813363.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-03-02  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gary Wessle wrote:
> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu.org> writes:

>>> the mode is ON.
>>> how do you fire it?
>> It is *automatic* when ON. That is, just activate this minor-mode
>> globally and all will be okay.
>>
>> Xavier
>
> any way to make the buffer "once it gets updated" to show the last
> line and not the beginning as it does now, i.e, move the pointer down
> to the end so that I can see whats just been inserted?

 From `M-x finder-commentary RET autorevert':

,----

`----

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2007-03-02 17:21               ` Gary Wessle
From: Gary Wessle @ 2007-03-02 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> Gary Wessle wrote:
> > Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu.org> writes:

> >> It is *automatic* when ON. That is, just activate this minor-mode
> >> globally and all will be okay.
> >>
> >> Xavier
> > any way to make the buffer "once it gets updated" to show the last
> > line and not the beginning as it does now, i.e, move the pointer down
> > to the end so that I can see whats just been inserted?
>
>  From `M-x finder-commentary RET autorevert':

 which gives me "Can't find library autorevert, well, that is strange
 when I just customized some autorevert options. I did not expect this
 return.

@ 2007-03-03  5:20             ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-03-03  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> any way to make the buffer "once it gets updated" to show the last
> line and not the beginning as it does now, i.e, move the pointer down
> to the end so that I can see whats just been inserted?

You may also want to take a look at tail-mode.el (not bundled with Emacs).

* Re: refreshing all frames from files
@ 2007-03-03 17:01               ` Gary Wessle
From: Gary Wessle @ 2007-03-03 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > any way to make the buffer "once it gets updated" to show the last
> > line and not the beginning as it does now, i.e, move the pointer down
> > to the end so that I can see whats just been inserted?
>
> You may also want to take a look at tail-mode.el (not bundled with Emacs).
>

>         Stefan

the only link I found is broken
http://dapfy.bei.t-online.de/tail-mode.el