all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#6961: Emacs hangs when scrolling using gnus-summary-next-page on pages with images
@ 2010-09-01  0:25 Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2010-09-01  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 6961

Hi,
I'm using gnus with the new gwene service to read RSS, in particular
webcomics. I've had emacs hang in a particularly bad way when scrolling
pages: consuming 100% of CPU and becoming unresponsive.

This bug should be reproducible with any large images. I tested it with
gwene.com.phdcomics and gwene.fr.lemonde.blog.vidberg.

I'm using (not 100% sure which are relevant)
(setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
(setq mm-attachment-override-types '("image/.*"))
(setq w3m-default-display-inline-images t)
(setq w3m-toggle-inline-images-permanently nil)

with latest bzr emacs and CVS emacs-w3m.

Also a bug but far less major, SPC ignores images in the article buffer,
and consequently the scrolling with large images is weird. It's better
(although not perfect) using the standard emacs scrolling commands (C-v
M-v, etc)

Antoine

* Re: bug#6961: Emacs hangs when scrolling using gnus-summary-next-page on pages with images
       [not found] <mailman.0.1283301894.11429.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-09-01 16:00 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-01 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:

> Also a bug but far less major, SPC ignores images in the article buffer,
> and consequently the scrolling with large images is weird. It's better
> (although not perfect) using the standard emacs scrolling commands (C-v
> M-v, etc)

The latest git Gnus has a few fixes that tries to work around these
issues, and also has a new built-in HTML viewer mode (based on w3m).

* bug#6961: Emacs hangs when scrolling using gnus-summary-next-page on pages with images
@ 2010-09-30 21:42 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-30 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antoine Levitt; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, 6961-close

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using gnus with the new gwene service to read RSS, in particular
> webcomics. I've had emacs hang in a particularly bad way when scrolling
> pages: consuming 100% of CPU and becoming unresponsive.
>
> This bug should be reproducible with any large images. I tested it with
> gwene.com.phdcomics and gwene.fr.lemonde.blog.vidberg.
>
> I'm using (not 100% sure which are relevant)
> (setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
> (setq mm-attachment-override-types '("image/.*"))
> (setq w3m-default-display-inline-images t)
> (setq w3m-toggle-inline-images-permanently nil)

In the latest Gnus/Emacs with the new HTML rendering code, this should
no longer be a problem.  And if your Emacs 24 is built with imagemagick
support. images will be scaled down to 90% of the window size, which
fixes some of the scrolling issues.

* bug#6961: Emacs hangs when scrolling using gnus-summary-next-page on pages with images
@ 2010-10-03 20:11   ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2010-10-03 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, 6961-close

Nope, still hangs with latest bzr. Also, it seems there's a (require
'browse-url) that's missing somewhere (it complains whenever I open a
news, and evaling the require makes it go away).

That's without imagemagick, I couldn't figure out how to enable it (it
says "no" in configure, although I've got the lib installed, and
--with-imagemagick doesn't change anything).

Antoine
30/09/10 23:42, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-04 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antoine Levitt; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, 6961-close

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:

> Nope, still hangs with latest bzr. Also, it seems there's a (require
> 'browse-url) that's missing somewhere (it complains whenever I open a
> news, and evaling the require makes it go away).

`(setq debug-on-error t)', repeat the bug and mail me the resulting
backtrace.

> That's without imagemagick, I couldn't figure out how to enable it (it
> says "no" in configure, although I've got the lib installed, and
> --with-imagemagick doesn't change anything).

apt-get install libmagick++-dev

* bug#6961: Emacs hangs when scrolling using gnus-summary-next-page on pages with images
@ 2010-10-05 16:49       ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2010-10-05 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, 6961-close

04/10/10 18:24, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Nope, still hangs with latest bzr. Also, it seems there's a (require
>> 'browse-url) that's missing somewhere (it complains whenever I open a
>> news, and evaling the require makes it go away).
>
> `(setq debug-on-error t)', repeat the bug and mail me the resulting
> backtrace.

The thing is, it doesn't crash, it just hangs, so I can't get a
backtrace. If you're talking about the require bug, here it is
http://pastebin.com/t9sqkHah

>> That's without imagemagick, I couldn't figure out how to enable it (it
>> says "no" in configure, although I've got the lib installed, and
>> --with-imagemagick doesn't change anything).
>
> apt-get install libmagick++-dev

Ah, true, thanks. It doesn't appear to change anything though.

* bug#6961: Emacs hangs when scrolling using gnus-summary-next-page on pages with images
@ 2010-10-05 17:31         ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-10-05 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antoine Levitt; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, 6961-close, bug-gnu-emacs

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:

> The thing is, it doesn't crash, it just hangs, so I can't get a
> backtrace.

Try (setq debug-on-quit t).

Andreas.

--