all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Keymaps and Emacs and libreadline ?
@ 2003-08-19  2:15 It's me FKtPp ;)
From: It's me FKtPp ;) @ 2003-08-19  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi group:

  I have GNU Emacs installed in all my computers, and I'd love to do
  every thing Emacs's way. But, when I try use libreadline to edit
  shell commands. Problem comes boring me :( This was what I
  encountered:

  I setup-ed libreadline so that I can use Emacs key-binding and
  key-sequences to edit shell command lines. It works perfect in
  X-terminal, but, when I switch to console mode(not X) the right-alt
  key no longer act as a meta key like what left-alt key do :( I
  viewed the keymap files and find out:

    Keycode 56 = Alt
    Keycode 100 = AltGr

  What's the meaning of "AltGr"?? Why map right-alt to AltGr? And I
  also find out that left-ctrl and right-ctrl both mapped to
  control. Why ctrl keys different from alt keys?

  How can I configure right-alt do the same work as the left-alt do?
  change keymap or change inputrc??

Thank you for ur help !! And sorry for my poor English :P

* Re: Keymaps and Emacs and libreadline ?
@ 2003-08-19 13:04 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-08-19 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"It's me FKtPp ;)" <m_pupil@yahoo.com.cn> writes:

>   I setup-ed libreadline so that I can use Emacs key-binding and
>   key-sequences to edit shell command lines. It works perfect in
>   X-terminal, but, when I switch to console mode(not X) the right-alt
>   key no longer act as a meta key like what left-alt key do :( I
>   viewed the keymap files and find out:
>
>     Keycode 56 = Alt
>     Keycode 100 = AltGr
>
>   What's the meaning of "AltGr"??

AltGr is used to write characters that might not otherwise be
accessible on the keyboard -- you hold AltGr down and press another
key.  Here some examples that work on my keyboard:

      AltGr e = €
      AltGr r = ®
      AltGr c = ©
      AltGr d = ð

But exactly what you get by using AltGr (if anything) probably depends
on you locale settings.

>   Why map right-alt to AltGr?

On many (European) keyboards the right Alt key is labeled as AltGr.

>   How can I configure right-alt do the same work as the left-alt do?
>   change keymap or change inputrc??

If you never need AltGr I suppose it's easiest just to map the right
Alt key to Alt rather than AltGr.

* Re: Keymaps and Emacs and libreadline ?
@ 2003-08-27  9:53   ` It's me FKtPp ;)
From: It's me FKtPp ;) @ 2003-08-27  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

[...]

> AltGr is used to write characters that might not otherwise be
> accessible on the keyboard -- you hold AltGr down and press another
> key.  Here some examples that work on my keyboard:
>
>       AltGr e = €
>       AltGr r = ®
>       AltGr c = ©
>       AltGr d = ð
>
> But exactly what you get by using AltGr (if anything) probably depends
> on you locale settings.

Thank you for your explain :-)

>>   How can I configure right-alt do the same work as the left-alt do?
>>   change keymap or change inputrc??
>
> If you never need AltGr I suppose it's easiest just to map the right
> Alt key to Alt rather than AltGr.

Thank you for your suggestion :-) I use Debian(sid) on my home-computer.
And yes, I'd never use AltGr key. My locale-setting is zh_CN.GBK(I'm
not sure if this locale needs AltGr key ?). And I checked some keymaps
in /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/ ,But all these files have a line
like "include linux-with-alt-altgr". why ??
--
    Lisp Lisp Lisp Lisp Lisp Lisp Lisp Lisp Lisp Lisp

* Re: Keymaps and Emacs and libreadline ?
@ 2003-08-27 16:30     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-08-27 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"It's me FKtPp ;)" <m_pupil@yahoo.com.cn> writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>> If you never need AltGr I suppose it's easiest just to map the right
>> Alt key to Alt rather than AltGr.
>
> Thank you for your suggestion :-) I use Debian(sid) on my home-computer.
> And yes, I'd never use AltGr key. My locale-setting is zh_CN.GBK(I'm
> not sure if this locale needs AltGr key ?). And I checked some keymaps
> in /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/ ,But all these files have a line
> like "include linux-with-alt-altgr". why ??

Probably because the person who wrote the keymaps thought that
keyboards with an AltGr key was the most common case.

I see there's also an include file called "linux-with-two-alt-keys" on
my system -- if you include that instead, you should get what you
want.