all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: java and M-x compile
@ 2005-09-30 22:32 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-09-30 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > It might mean that make typically comes with standard defaults, so
> > e.g., knows to run a C compiler on .c files.
> >

> Even when you know how to enter a train: how will you be able to arrive
> at your target destination when you neither know it nor how many times
> and where you have to change into which other trains?

> A makefile is needed!

I don't know about trains but on GNU/Linux or Unix if you type:

make myprog

and you have an executable called myprog.c in that directory, make will
find and compile it:

nickrob/34 make myprog
cc     myprog.c   -o myprog
nickrob/35

Nick

* java and M-x compile
@ 2005-09-30  9:37 LENNART BORGMAN
       [not found] ` <mailman.9226.1128080585.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: LENNART BORGMAN @ 2005-09-30  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

By default M-x compile RET runs "make -k". The emacs manual says that this should be good for most simple programs. It does not seem to be very good for a simple java program.

At least not for me, using GNU Make 3.80 on W2k. Is there something I am missing? (Of course I can still compile java in Emacs, but could make -k work by default, or does it need a makefile?)