all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: master 069a0e4: Sync with soap-client repository, version 3.0.0
       [not found] ` <E1Zpy3B-0007Cg-U8@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2015-10-24 17:51   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2015-10-24 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Thomas Fitzsimmons

Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:

> branch: master
> commit 069a0e41f40822f3233333eee33ef6f15a640f0b
> Author: Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim@fitzsim.org>
> Commit: Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim@fitzsim.org>
>
>     Sync with soap-client repository, version 3.0.0

I know it can be tedious, but please try to make proper commit logs for
such things, showing exactly what changed, just as you would in any
other commit. (Also reflecting the correct author, if appropriate.)
Thanks.

* Re: master 069a0e4: Sync with soap-client repository, version 3.0.0
@ 2015-10-25  4:25     ` Thomas Fitzsimmons
From: Thomas Fitzsimmons @ 2015-10-25  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
>
>> branch: master
>> commit 069a0e41f40822f3233333eee33ef6f15a640f0b
>> Author: Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim@fitzsim.org>
>> Commit: Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim@fitzsim.org>
>>
>>     Sync with soap-client repository, version 3.0.0
>
> I know it can be tedious, but please try to make proper commit logs for
> such things, showing exactly what changed, just as you would in any
> other commit. (Also reflecting the correct author, if appropriate.)
> Thanks.

Sorry about that; this sync represents three years of development by
Alex Harsanyi and me in the soap-client GitHub repository:

https://github.com/alex-hhh/emacs-soap-client

All the history and authorship information is there, accessible from the
3.0.0 tag.

To reduce tedium and precisely represent authorship and history within
the Emacs repository, maybe it would make sense to add emacs-soap-client
as a Git subtree, like GNU Elpa allows for externally-hosted projects.
Is that an option for the main Emacs Git repository?

Or more simply, I could update the Homepage headers to point to
https://github.com/alex-hhh/emacs-soap-client (which I should do
anyway), so that people can look for the history there.

Thomas

* Re: master 069a0e4: Sync with soap-client repository, version 3.0.0
@ 2015-10-25 18:41       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-10-25 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Fitzsimmons; +Cc: rgm, emacs-devel

> From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim@fitzsim.org>
> Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 00:25:43 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> To reduce tedium and precisely represent authorship and history within
> the Emacs repository, maybe it would make sense to add emacs-soap-client
> as a Git subtree, like GNU Elpa allows for externally-hosted projects.
> Is that an option for the main Emacs Git repository?

We need to be able to produce a ChangeLog from the Git commit log, see
ChangeLog.2.  That is why Glenn requested to include proper commit
logs when merging.

I see that you maintain a ChangeLog file in the repository.  Can't you
simply copy that into the merge commit log, after deleting the
date-and-name headers?  That would go a long way towards solving the
issue without undue hardships for you, I think.

* Re: master 069a0e4: Sync with soap-client repository, version 3.0.0
@ 2015-10-25 20:25         ` Thomas Fitzsimmons
From: Thomas Fitzsimmons @ 2015-10-25 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: rgm, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim@fitzsim.org>
>> Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 00:25:43 -0400
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> To reduce tedium and precisely represent authorship and history within
>> the Emacs repository, maybe it would make sense to add emacs-soap-client
>> as a Git subtree, like GNU Elpa allows for externally-hosted projects.
>> Is that an option for the main Emacs Git repository?
>
> We need to be able to produce a ChangeLog from the Git commit log, see
> ChangeLog.2.  That is why Glenn requested to include proper commit
> logs when merging.
>
> I see that you maintain a ChangeLog file in the repository.  Can't you
> simply copy that into the merge commit log, after deleting the
> date-and-name headers?  That would go a long way towards solving the
> issue without undue hardships for you, I think.

Yes, history and authorship will still be squashed together, but I guess
it will satisfy Emacs ChangeLog generation.

What I'll do this time is sync 3.0.1, with just the homepage change, but
put the giant 3.0.0 ChangeLog contents into the 3.0.1 sync commit log.
The history will be a little out of sync with the git changes, but at
least all the 3.0.0 changes will actually be reflected in the Emacs
ChangeLog (this is in lieu of fixing the 3.0.0 sync commit message,
which is immutable history now).

And I'll add:

Co-authored-by: Alexandru Harsanyi <AlexHarsanyi@gmail.com>

to the new commit message.  Is that an acceptable recovery plan for the
3.0.0 information?

Thomas

* Re: master 069a0e4: Sync with soap-client repository, version 3.0.0
@ 2015-10-25 20:34           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-10-25 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Fitzsimmons; +Cc: rgm, emacs-devel

> From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim@fitzsim.org>
> Cc: rgm@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 16:25:26 -0400
>
> What I'll do this time is sync 3.0.1, with just the homepage change, but
> put the giant 3.0.0 ChangeLog contents into the 3.0.1 sync commit log.
> The history will be a little out of sync with the git changes, but at
> least all the 3.0.0 changes will actually be reflected in the Emacs
> ChangeLog (this is in lieu of fixing the 3.0.0 sync commit message,
> which is immutable history now).

You can do both: commit 3.0.1 with the above-mentioned log, then wait
a few days until ChangeLog.2 is updated, and move those entries to the
date of the 3.0.0 merge.

> And I'll add:
>
> Co-authored-by: Alexandru Harsanyi <AlexHarsanyi@gmail.com>
>
> to the new commit message.  Is that an acceptable recovery plan for the
> 3.0.0 information?

Yes, thanks.

* Re: master 069a0e4: Sync with soap-client repository, version 3.0.0
@ 2015-10-25 21:19             ` Thomas Fitzsimmons
From: Thomas Fitzsimmons @ 2015-10-25 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: rgm, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim@fitzsim.org>
>> Cc: rgm@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 16:25:26 -0400
>>
>> What I'll do this time is sync 3.0.1, with just the homepage change, but
>> put the giant 3.0.0 ChangeLog contents into the 3.0.1 sync commit log.
>> The history will be a little out of sync with the git changes, but at
>> least all the 3.0.0 changes will actually be reflected in the Emacs
>> ChangeLog (this is in lieu of fixing the 3.0.0 sync commit message,
>> which is immutable history now).
>
> You can do both: commit 3.0.1 with the above-mentioned log,

Done.

> then wait a few days until ChangeLog.2 is updated, and move those
> entries to the date of the 3.0.0 merge.

Will do.

Thomas