all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* setting the default directory on Windows startup
@ 2002-09-19 22:10 Alan Barton
From: Alan Barton @ 2002-09-19 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm a new user of emacs on Windows, although I have some experience on Linux
OS versions.  When I open an emacs session and select 'File' -> 'Open file'
, my directory tree starts looking in 'c:\emacs\bin\' when I would prefer
that it start looking in my 'c:\home' directory.

I found the variable 'insert-default-directory', but this just seems to be a
toggle switch, and does not allow me to input the name of a new default
directory.  I'm aware that I can simply 'cd' in to my working directory each
time I open an emacs session, but I'd like my sessions to automatically 'cd'
to my working directory on startup.  How do I go about doing this?

Thanks for your assistance.
                                 -Alan Barton
                                  abarton@coas.oregonstate.edu

* RE: setting the default directory on Windows startup
@ 2002-09-19 22:44 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2002-09-19 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

One way to do this is to open the properties for each shortcut that you have for starting emacs and put c:\ in the start in: field.  There may be other ways but when I found this one I quit looking.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Product Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.          -Dr. George W. Crane-

       [not found] <mailman.1032473476.3686.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-19 22:52 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-09-19 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Alan Barton" <abarton@coas.oregonstate.edu> writes:

> I'm aware that I can simply 'cd' in to my working directory each time
> I open an emacs session, but I'd like my sessions to automatically
> 'cd' to my working directory on startup.  How do I go about doing
> this?

Simply put

       (cd "/my/directory")

in your .emacs file.

* Re: setting the default directory on Windows startup
@ 2002-09-20 12:08 ` Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2002-09-20 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: abarton

Add this to your _emacs file:

(setq default-directory "C:\\home/")

Kevin

@ 2002-09-21 13:12 ` maierh
From: maierh @ 2002-09-21 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Alan Barton" <abarton@coas.oregonstate.edu> writes:

> I'm a new user of emacs on Windows, although I have some experience on Linux
> OS versions.  When I open an emacs session and select 'File' -> 'Open file'
> , my directory tree starts looking in 'c:\emacs\bin\' when I would prefer
> that it start looking in my 'c:\home' directory.

I like this solution as the best because it gives the same behavior
as under Unix. Put the follwoing into your .emacs file.

Harald

,----

`----