all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#464: 23.0.60; [Regression] Implicit utf-8 no longer correctly decoded in gnus
@ 2008-06-22  6:37 James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2008-06-22  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

For the last few weeks gnus no longer correctly displays utf-8 data in
articles or mime-parts which do not explicitly declare themselves to be
utf-8.  Before, this just worked.

It is very common with commit messages that the mime block for the
message has no local headers, or they don’t use mime at all, and also do
not specify a charset in the main headers.  This used to display
correctly, but no longer does so.

As an example, ‘ and ’ display as ^X and ^Y (in the escape-glyph face).

Using C-ug shows that the correct octets are there.

Saving the article or mime block saves the incorrect data, whereas
caching the article (with *) saves the correct octet-stream.  Viewing
the cached article outside of gnus works (at least, of course, in a
UTF-8 locale...).

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.0.60/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2008-06-21 on lugabout
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10599001
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr' '--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--program-suffix=-emacs-23' '--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-23' '--without-carbon' '--with-sound' '--with-x' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xpm' '--enable-font-backend' '--with-freetype' '--with-xft' '--with-libotf' '--with-m17n-flt' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--without-hesiod' '--with-kerberos' '--with-kerberos5' '--with-gpm' '--with-dbus' '--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'build_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'CC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc' 'CFLAGS=-march=pentium3 -O2' 'LDFLAGS= -Wl,--as-needed ''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...done
Making completion list... [2 times]
Quit
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.
Making completion list...

* bug#464: 23.0.60; [Regression] Implicit utf-8 no longer correctly decoded in gnus
@ 2008-06-22 14:06 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-22 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 464

> For the last few weeks gnus no longer correctly displays utf-8 data in
> articles or mime-parts which do not explicitly declare themselves to be
> utf-8.  Before, this just worked.

Can you try to pin down the change that broke it?
Using the usual bisection algorithm on dates,

* bug#464: 23.0.60; [Regression] Implicit utf-8 no longer correctly decoded in gnus
@ 2008-06-23  7:58   ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2008-06-23  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 464

>> For the last few weeks gnus no longer correctly displays utf-8 data
>> in articles or mime-parts which do not explicitly declare themselves
>> to be utf-8.  Before, this just worked.

Stefan> Can you try to pin down the change that broke it?
Stefan> Using the usual bisection algorithm on dates,

The best I can say right now is that the last compile that worked was
before the font-backend branch merged, and the first that didn't work
was after that merge.

Gnus takes about an hour to startup, and emacs almost as long to
compile, so I'll have to setup a separate user account to do the
bisecting.  It'll take some time.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* bug#464: 23.0.60; [Regression] Implicit utf-8 no longer correctly decoded in gnus
@ 2008-06-24  0:36     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-24  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cloos; +Cc: 464

>>> For the last few weeks gnus no longer correctly displays utf-8 data
>>> in articles or mime-parts which do not explicitly declare themselves
>>> to be utf-8.  Before, this just worked.

Stefan> Can you try to pin down the change that broke it?
Stefan> Using the usual bisection algorithm on dates,

> The best I can say right now is that the last compile that worked was
> before the font-backend branch merged, and the first that didn't work
> was after that merge.

> Gnus takes about an hour to startup, and emacs almost as long to
> compile, so I'll have to setup a separate user account to do the
> bisecting.  It'll take some time.

If you can't bisect, then can you try and provide a simple recipe?

        Stefan

PS: Of course, utf-8 email that is not labelled as such is invalid,
according to the MIME RFCs, so Gnus's current behavior might be
considered as a feature.

* bug#464: 23.0.60; [Regression] Implicit utf-8 no longer correctly decoded in gnus
@ 2008-06-24  1:33       ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2008-06-24  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 464

Stefan> If you can't bisect, then can you try and provide a simple recipe?

The git logs mailed to xorg-commit AT lists.freedesktop.org and several
mails sent to the unicode list are where I most noticed this.

The xorg commit list is on gmane at gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg.cvs,
so reading that in gnus should do it.  (Check out my recent commit
messages there.)

Hmm.  I just tested the gmane group on my webserver (debian sid,
emacs-snapshot-nox (GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu) of
2008-06-21 on elegiac, modified by Debian) running over ssh) and
it worked.

The bug seems to be specific to X terminals.

Seeing the above, I started the server and tried in a tty frame via
emacslcient -t.  It worked correctly when viewing a cached mail.

So nnimap may also be needed to trigger the bug????

The next time I see it in a fresh mail I'll open a tty frame and see
whether it shows up there, too.

-JimC

* bug#464: 23.0.60; [Regression] Implicit utf-8 no longer correctly decoded in gnus
@ 2008-07-03 21:08 James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2008-07-03 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 464; +Cc: ding

I figured out the difference.

If the mail has a transfer encoding of base64 it works correctly.  If it
is 8bit the decoding fails.  I haven't hit on a utf-8 quoted-printable
so am not yet sure whether those work, but I suspect they would.

This suggests the unibyte vs multibyte change that occurred a few weeks
back is the culprit.

The raw message probably needs to be multibyte iff the encoding is 8bit
and the charset is anything which might use more than 8 bits per
character, including at least the utf encodings of the UCS and the
various CJK character sets.

I'll try out (imap-disable-multibyte)¹ and (set-buffer-multibyte) to see
whether those make any difference on such emails.

-JimC

1] Incidently, it seems odd that (imap-disable-multibyte)'s help text
   says that it will:  "Enable multibyte in the current buffer."

--

@ 2008-07-03 21:29 James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2008-07-03 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 464; +Cc: ding

|> I haven't hit on a utf-8 quoted-printable so am not yet sure whether
|> those work, but I suspect they would.

Just hit a qp and, indeed, they do work.

So it is in fact only mail with Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit which
now fail, but which used to work as of four to eight weeks ago, or so.

-JimC
--

       [not found] <m37ic2wt97.fsf@lugabout.jhcloos.org>
@ 2010-09-30 17:36 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-30 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cloos; +Cc: 464-close, ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> So it is in fact only mail with Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit which
> now fail, but which used to work as of four to eight weeks ago, or so.

I'm unable to reproduce this bug with Emacs 24 -- utf-8, 8bit
Content-Transfer-Encoding and no charset= works for me.