all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#6496: documentation manual missing "autoload object" in "What Is a Function" node
@ 2010-06-22 22:53 MON KEY
From: MON KEY @ 2010-06-22 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 6496

(info "(elisp)What Is a Function")

Does not mention "autoload objects" as a "type" of function.

It should do so and make an xref to (info "(elisp)Autoload Type").

Following is an attempt at documenting the object:

,----

| "autoload object"
| An "autoload object" stores a function definition in a placeholder
| for the real definition of a symbol-function.  The autoload object
| says that the real definition is found in a file of Lisp code which
| should be loaded when necessary.  An autoload object is stored as a
| list with the first element being the symbol `autoload'.

`----

The rationale for including this documentation is that both
`indirect-function' and `symbol-function' will return an autoload list
if the function has yet to be brought into the environment, e.g.:

(when (featurep 'dunnet) (unload-feature 'dunnet))

(symbol-function 'dunnet)
;=> (autoload "dunnet" 940287 t nil)

(require 'dunnet)

(symbol-function 'dunnet)
;=> #[ <BIG-VECTOR-HERE> ... ]

These differences of return value w/re both `indirect-function' and
`symbol-function' may be surprising to some esp. as there isn't an
autoload predicate (that I'm aware of).

--
/s_P\

* bug#6496: documentation manual missing "autoload object" in "What Is a Function" node
@ 2011-07-03 12:34 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-03 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MON KEY; +Cc: 6496

MON KEY <monkey@sandpframing.com> writes:

> Does not mention "autoload objects" as a "type" of function.
>
> It should do so and make an xref to (info "(elisp)Autoload Type").
>
> Following is an attempt at documenting the object:
>
> ,----
> |
> | "autoload object"
> | An "autoload object" stores a function definition in a placeholder
> | for the real definition of a symbol-function.  The autoload object
> | says that the real definition is found in a file of Lisp code which
> | should be loaded when necessary.  An autoload object is stored as a
> | list with the first element being the symbol `autoload'.
> |
> `----

I've installed a similar definition in the Emacs 24 manual.