all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#5822: run-at-time and Setting system time
@ 2009-04-05  3:44   ` chandan
From: chandan @ 2009-04-05  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 5822, help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:29:42 +0530
>> From: chandan <chandan.babu@globaledgesoft.com>
>>
>> (defun mwnn-timer-callback ()
>>   (message "Hi, inside mwnn-timer-callback"))
>>
>> (run-at-time "60" nil 'mwnn-timer-callback)
>>
>> The above code is supposed to cause mwnn-timer-callback to get invoked
>> after 60 seconds. But if the system time is changed to a future date
>> (say 20 seconds after the timer is started) the timer fires immediately.
>>
>> Is this is a bug in the emacs code. If yes, can this be rectified?
>>

> I think this how the timers are supposed to behave.  They are not
> interval timers, if that's what you expected.

Emacs seems to use setitimer & getitimer (interval timers) for
implementing the timer module. This may be the cause of the problem.
Using timer_create, timer_delete, timer_settime, timer_gettime etc.

* run-at-time and Setting system time
@ 2010-04-02  6:59 chandan
From: chandan @ 2010-04-02  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, bug-gnu-emacs

Hi,
    Consider the following code:

(defun mwnn-timer-callback ()
  (message "Hi, inside mwnn-timer-callback"))

(run-at-time "60" nil 'mwnn-timer-callback)

The above code is supposed to cause mwnn-timer-callback to get invoked
after 60 seconds. But if the system time is changed to a future date
(say 20 seconds after the timer is started) the timer fires immediately.

Is this is a bug in the emacs code. If yes, can this be rectified?

Regards,
mwnn

* Re: run-at-time and Setting system time
@ 2010-04-02 17:36 ` J. David Boyd
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: J. David Boyd @ 2010-04-02 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

chandan <chandan.babu@globaledgesoft.com> writes:

> Hi,
>    Consider the following code:
>
> (defun mwnn-timer-callback ()
>  (message "Hi, inside mwnn-timer-callback"))
>
> (run-at-time "60" nil 'mwnn-timer-callback)
>
> The above code is supposed to cause mwnn-timer-callback to get invoked
> after 60 seconds. But if the system time is changed to a future date
> (say 20 seconds after the timer is started) the timer fires
> immediately.
>
> Is this is a bug in the emacs code. If yes, can this be rectified?
>
> Regards,
> mwnn

It sounds like a good thing to me.

Say the time is 13:00, and you do what you said.  You told the machine
to give an invocation at 13:01.

If you move the clock ahead, the code _should_ run, as it is now past
13:01.

Dave

* bug#5822: run-at-time and Setting system time
@ 2010-04-02 17:40 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-04-02 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chandan; +Cc: 5822, help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:29:42 +0530
> From: chandan <chandan.babu@globaledgesoft.com>
>
> (defun mwnn-timer-callback ()
>   (message "Hi, inside mwnn-timer-callback"))
>
> (run-at-time "60" nil 'mwnn-timer-callback)
>
> The above code is supposed to cause mwnn-timer-callback to get invoked
> after 60 seconds. But if the system time is changed to a future date
> (say 20 seconds after the timer is started) the timer fires immediately.
>
> Is this is a bug in the emacs code. If yes, can this be rectified?

I think this how the timers are supposed to behave.  They are not
interval timers, if that's what you expected.

* Re: bug#5822: run-at-time and Setting system time
@ 2010-04-02 17:40 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-04-02 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chandan; +Cc: 5822, help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:29:42 +0530
> From: chandan <chandan.babu@globaledgesoft.com>
>
> (defun mwnn-timer-callback ()
>   (message "Hi, inside mwnn-timer-callback"))
>
> (run-at-time "60" nil 'mwnn-timer-callback)
>
> The above code is supposed to cause mwnn-timer-callback to get invoked
> after 60 seconds. But if the system time is changed to a future date
> (say 20 seconds after the timer is started) the timer fires immediately.
>
> Is this is a bug in the emacs code. If yes, can this be rectified?

I think this how the timers are supposed to behave.  They are not
interval timers, if that's what you expected.

* bug#5822: run-at-time and Setting system time
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-04-02 18:55 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-04-02 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chandan; +Cc: 5822, help-gnu-emacs

Please don't cross-post to the help and bug lists.

Anyone reading this on help-gnu-emacs, please use 5822 at
debbugs.gnu.org in place of bug-gnu-emacs in any replies. (Otherwise
every reply creates a new bug report.)

If you really want to cc another address when filing a new bug report,
please use an X-Debbugs-CC header instead of a Cc header, as explained
here:

http://debbugs.gnu.org/Reporting.html#xcc

Yes, it is a bit confusing at first.

Thanks.

* bug#5823: run-at-time and Setting system time
@ 2011-09-18 20:02   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-18 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: 5823

david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

>> (defun mwnn-timer-callback ()
>>  (message "Hi, inside mwnn-timer-callback"))
>>
>> (run-at-time "60" nil 'mwnn-timer-callback)
>>
>> The above code is supposed to cause mwnn-timer-callback to get invoked
>> after 60 seconds. But if the system time is changed to a future date
>> (say 20 seconds after the timer is started) the timer fires
>> immediately.
>>
>> Is this is a bug in the emacs code. If yes, can this be rectified?
>>
>> Regards,
>> mwnn
>
> It sounds like a good thing to me.
>
> Say the time is 13:00, and you do what you said.  You told the machine
> to give an invocation at 13:01.
>
> If you move the clock ahead, the code _should_ run, as it is now past
> 13:01.

Yes, I don't think this is a bug, so I'm closing this report.