all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs hangs when deleting a large portion of text in a large file
@ 2002-12-05  9:30 Michael Mueller
From: Michael Mueller @ 2002-12-05  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I often use emacs to examine large log files (may be 10 MB). Sometimes I want to extract
a part of such a file for further investigation, for example, I am in the middle
of the file and want to delete the rest. When I just jump to the end and then delete the
region using C-W, emacs hangs. I assume emacs has problems saving such a large portion
of text in the kill ring and it would come back if I would wait for some minutes or maybe
hours, which I don't want to do. Even C-g won't interupt this. The only thing I can do
is kill emacs from the shell.

Is there a way to delete large portions of text from large files quickly?

Thanks

Michael

* Re: Emacs hangs when deleting a large portion of text in a large file
@ 2002-12-05 10:37 ` Kai Großjohann
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-05 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Mueller <michael_p_mueller@agilent.com> writes:

> I often use emacs to examine large log files (may be 10 MB). Sometimes
> I want to extract a part of such a file for further investigation, for
> example, I am in the middle of the file and want to delete the
> rest. When I just jump to the end and then delete the region using
> C-W, emacs hangs.

Maybe it's the X cut buffer (X selection?) interaction?  You could
try to frob the variables interporgram-cut-function and
interprogram-paste-function.

* Re: Emacs hangs when deleting a large portion of text in a large file
@ 2002-12-05 13:59 ` Joshua D. Guttman
From: Joshua D. Guttman @ 2002-12-05 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Joshua D. Guttman

Michael Mueller <michael_p_mueller@agilent.com> writes:

>   When I just jump to the end and then delete the
>   region using C-W, emacs hangs.

Oh, for this you definitely want to use M-x delete-region
which does not put anything on the kill ring or x clipboard.

        Joshua

delete-region is an interactive built-in function.
(delete-region START END)

Delete the text between point and mark.
When called from a program, expects two arguments,
positions (integers or markers) specifying the stretch to be deleted.
--
	Joshua D. Guttman		<guttman@mitre.org>
	MITRE, Mail Stop S119		Office:	+1 781 271 2654

* Re: Emacs hangs when deleting a large portion of text in a large file
@ 2002-12-05 15:03 ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-12-05 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I often use emacs to examine large log files (may be 10
> MB). Sometimes I want to extract a part of such a file for further
> investigation, for example, I am in the middle of the file and want to
> delete the rest. When I just jump to the end and then delete the region
> using C-W, emacs hangs. I assume emacs has problems saving such a large
> portion of text in the kill ring and it would come back if I would wait
> for some minutes or maybe hours, which I don't want to do. Even C-g won't
> interupt this. The only thing I can do is kill emacs from the shell.

Which version of Emacs is that ?

Check the PROBLEMS file, it has something about the X cut-buffer and some
clipboard that ends up freezing Emacs if you cut more than a few hundred
chars at a time.

* Re: Emacs hangs when deleting a large portion of text in a large file
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-12-06 19:53 ` Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2002-12-06 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   From: Michael Mueller <michael_p_mueller@agilent.com>
   Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:30:08 +0100

   > I often use emacs to examine large log files (may be 10 MB). Sometimes
   > I want to extract a part of such a file for further investigation, for

Do you use KDE? Kill klipper.
--
Pavel Janík

So anybody who depends on "dump" getting backups right is already playing
russian rulette with their backups.
                  -- Linus Torvalds in linux-kernel