all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Required empty fields in BibTeX mode
@ 2007-11-19 10:42 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-11-19 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

This might be quite unusual, so I don't expect a quick answer. Due to
a bug in biblatex I need a field in certain Bibtex entries empty, but
ALWAYS present.

By default Emacs kills empty fields when the function
bibtex-clean-entry is called. Is it possible to exclude a certain type
of field from deletion?

A more detailed description of the problem:

Biblatex knows the field "subtitle". If this field is not present in
InCollection entries, it is added via crossref from the corresponding
Collection entry. But this field, then, has the wrong value, since it
is the Collection's subtitle, not the InCollection's. So, the output
is spoiled. An empty subtitle field in the InCollection entry is a
workaround until this is fixed by the developer. But this makes the
function bibtex-clean-entry unusable unless it can be told to leave
empty subtitle fields in InCollections.

Greetings

Sven

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Required empty fields in BibTeX mode
       [not found] <mailman.3782.1195468968.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-19 14:42 ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2007-11-19 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:
> By default Emacs kills empty fields when the function
> bibtex-clean-entry is called. Is it possible to exclude a certain type
> of field from deletion?

Formatting of BibTeX entries is controlled by the variable
bibtex-entry-format which contains a list of formatting options.
Empty fields are deleted if this list contains 'opts-or-alts. Remove
this from the list and you should get what you want.

Roland

* Re: Required empty fields in BibTeX mode
@ 2007-11-19 14:46   ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2007-11-19 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Roland Winkler <Roland.Winkler@physik.uni-erlangen.de> writes:
> Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:
>> By default Emacs kills empty fields when the function
>> bibtex-clean-entry is called. Is it possible to exclude a certain type
>> of field from deletion?
>
> Formatting of BibTeX entries is controlled by the variable
> bibtex-entry-format which contains a list of formatting options.
> Empty fields are deleted if this list contains 'opts-or-alts. Remove
> this from the list and you should get what you want.

Ooops, this is just part one of your more specific question. With
the above you will keep all empty fields. You could then put a
function into bibtex-clean-entry-hook that deletes all empty fields
except for the one you want to keep.

Roland

* Re: Required empty fields in BibTeX mode
@ 2007-11-19 22:00     ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-11-19 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs